Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What else to replace on C5 Corvette Stall install?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 11:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What else to replace on C5 Corvette Stall install?

I've got a Yank SS3200 sitting in the garage and soon plan on getting it in the car. I've been thinking through what I'll need and what else I should add while I'm in there. The car is a 1998 with 145,000 miles. Original trans as far as I know. Current mods include Vararam and PowerDuct, Kooks 1 3/4 headers, Corsa GTR, LS6 intake manifold, Z06 Plug wires, etc. Basic bolt-ons. It's daily driven and sees occasional track use (autoX, 1/4 mile [HRP], and road racing [TWS]) Eventually I plan on doing heads/cam/UD pulley or possibly a Gen. IV stroker swap. At that point, I'll turn to the boys at RPM for some more serious transmission upgrades and ECS for a U-Joint torque tube, but I'm looking to keep things a little simpler for the first time I pull out the rear cradle in the garage with no air tools and without a lift.

So far I've got:
Stall
B&M 70266 Trans cooler
Stainless lines
Aeroquip fittings
Mounting Kit

I'm going to buy:
New filter - brand recommendations?
New trans gasket - brand recommendations?
Deep pan (I think I've decided on the East Coast Transmissions one)
ATF fluid - brand recommendations?

If I don't put in a new diff. Which of these will I still need:
- Carrier tranny center-shaft seal (A4): 24207010 newer substitute PN: 24228816 $38.71
- Seal Plate O-ring (A4): 12369456 List $10.28
The other seals are:
- 89047953 (new revision) side plate outer "O" ring seal (use with anaerobic sealer) $21.22
- 88996703 (new revision) output shaft(s) center seal $18.24
- 89021677 - part number for the anaerobic sealer $26.00
And I should probably replace the TC to flywheel bolts with ARP hardware.

Also, Is there enough room to pull the trans/diff out as one piece without removing the torque tube or will I need to remove the differential first so the trans can slide back?

Is there anything else I'll need? Since I hope the answer is no, we'll move on to any additional upgrades I'm considering.

Transgo HD2 Shift kit - I haven't decided if I want to mess with this since the RPM trans will come with it but it would be nice, and may actually help keep my trans alive longer - or so they claim. Thoughts?

I thought I'd look through the list of RPM's upgrades and see if any of them were worth doing now:

RPM sleeved input drum
RPM 3-4 clutch pack
RPM reinforced sunshell with collar and bearing
Heavy Duty double caged 29 element sprag
4L65E low roller clutch
Billet 4th gear servo
Corvette Servo
Wide 2-4 band
Updated aluminum accumulator piston
Bushing kit
new shift solenoids
new wiring harness
new GM valve body spacer plate
GM 5 pinion planetary gearsets - front and rear
300M hardened output shaft
Seal & gasket kit
Set clutch and band clearances to our specifications

I've head a lot of the guys install aluminum pistons with the HD2 kit, but I'm not sure which ones specifically or where to get them. If you guys would do any of the above, what brand/part numbers would you suggest using?

I'm also going to look at replacing one of my rear end seals that's leaking a little bit since I'm back there.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

I don't remove the torque tube, u can pull the trans/diff as one, but if u are going into the trans, pull the diff off after the cradle is out. This is much easier on a lift.....I'm just sayin' LOL. With that kind of mileage, I would build it
Old 01-23-2022, 09:11 AM
Teching In

Hopefully this helps anyone out who finds this thread in the future. Complete removal video:

Quick Reply: What else to replace on C5 Corvette Stall install?