Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS Oiling System Issues - Please Assist!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default STS Oiling System Issues - Please Assist!

ALL -

I have a 96 LT1 M6 Pontiac Formula that I am fitting a Squires Turbo system to. My current issue involves getting pressurized engine oil to the turbo.

I’ve been told by Tech Support at STS that the braided steel line which feeds oil to the turbo is simply: “attached at the oil sending unit, which is either: near / directly above the oil filter, or on the pass side of the block, in the same general location” – it would be simple too, if I could find this elusive object!

Earlier this year, I changed the oil pressure sending unit, which was located behind the intake manifold, near the heads, almost touching the firewall; and Chris, Tech Support @ STS, told me that was NOT the correct port, rather it was lower on the block.

I found a port, with an unknown one-wire sensor attached, but the Tech at my local Pontiac dealership thought that object on the pass side pic of my block might be a Coolant Temp sensor, and NOT an Oil Temp (or Oil Pressure) Sensor, so, I am a bit confused.

I’d really like to just do this once and minimize my car’s downtime.

I’ve attached pics (off my camera phone) of both the driver’s and pass side of my engine block to aid / assist in this activity.

The driver's side, just above the oil filter, has a plug with a 6mm recessed / allen head, but that sucker will NOT move ( ); and, as stated above, the pass side has a one-wire sensor, just above the oil pan and in front of the starter.

Can someone (who has done this in the past) please assist in determing the correct location that I should tap into to get pressurized engine oil back to my turbo?

Please: point to / confirm the location / draw me a picture / take a shot of their vehicle / etc… so I can correctly tap into my vehicle’s oiling system, and ultimately overcome this latest hurdle in going from Normally Aspirated to Forced Induction – Thanks!

MIKE
Attached Thumbnails STS Oiling System Issues - Please Assist!-dr_side_above_oilfilter.jpg   STS Oiling System Issues - Please Assist!-pass_side.jpg  
Old 05-06-2009, 04:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on the LT1 there is a port right above the oil filter that u take off and its a direct oil spot i this its a 1/4 inch or 3/8 plug that u use a ratchet to take off but its right above the oil filter thats what u want to use
Old 05-06-2009, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Maybe / Maybe not

Witry -

I appreciate the info / input, but (on my car) that 1/4" or 3/8" port does not seem to exist; unless it's the object in the first attached pic, then it's a 6mm allen headed plug.

Can someone who's done this on an LT1 chime in please?

Originally Posted by witry
on the LT1 there is a port right above the oil filter that u take off and its a direct oil spot i this its a 1/4 inch or 3/8 plug that u use a ratchet to take off but its right above the oil filter thats what u want to use
Old 05-06-2009, 06:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by great421
Witry -

I appreciate the info / input, but (on my car) that 1/4" or 3/8" port does not seem to exist; unless it's the object in the first attached pic, then it's a 6mm allen headed plug.

Can someone who's done this on an LT1 chime in please?
Hope this helps, I am in the middle of a rear mount build/install and this is where I got my oil feed for the turbo...I have a 95' LT1 Camaro
http://shbox.com/1/aux_oil_port.jpg
Old 05-06-2009, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Two votes for the Driver's side

Witry & Mk1973 -

You guys are both pointing to the same object, so Witry, I owe you an apology. You were indeed correct.

However, mine (unlike the one on shoebox's site) does NOT have a larger hex head - in the pic @ http://shbox.com/1/aux_oil_port.jpg - to twist, but rather a recessed / 6mm allen head style. I'm sure if it had the larger hex head on it I'd not be trying right now, I'd be finishing up my oil line install.

This morning, that sucker just would not move!

I broke two hand tools (and slightly rounded the head) trying to get it off today.

(Oh, the object in the second pic is my knock sensor. I determined that after searching thru my GM 96 F-body Manuals about ten minutes ago.)

So, any suggestions on removing a stubborn plug?

PB Blaster?

Heat?

Dynamite?

A Second Idea:

What about the port used for the oil pressure sensor (as seen in http://shbox.com/1/aux_oil_port.jpg) - would this port work if I could not free the plug near the oil filter?

LMK!

Originally Posted by mk1973
Hope this helps, I am in the middle of a rear mount build/install and this is where I got my oil feed for the turbo...I have a 95' LT1 Camaro
http://shbox.com/1/aux_oil_port.jpg

Last edited by great421; 05-06-2009 at 08:30 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see why you can't just t into the one on the top of the engine. We did that on my buddies protege 5 for his turbo and it works great.

Quick Reply: STS Oiling System Issues - Please Assist!