Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some exhaust questions before I buy...

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 12:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some exhaust questions before I buy...

1) I found a good deal on some qtp headers from a vendor but was wondering how ground clearance was for them. I like in Iowa so crappy road and left over salt from the winter desire the need for SS headers and ground clearance.
2) The car has a loudmouth exhaust and I abosutely hate it! I would like to find a quality exhaust that has better flow than factory but also quiets the car way down but still sounds decent(It's pretty much a cruising car that might see a little track time). I've listened to some of the clips but can't really tell. I was something like my buddies car with headers, stock catback with a flowmaster muffler but I no longer have the stock catback and would like a 3" exhaust to breath a little better.

Any input helps guys. I'm still pretty new to the LS1 stuff( have had 2 LT1's and bracket race one)
Old 05-08-2009, 12:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 94dragbird
1) I found a good deal on some qtp headers from a vendor but was wondering how ground clearance was for them. I like in Iowa so crappy road and left over salt from the winter desire the need for SS headers and ground clearance.
2) The car has a loudmouth exhaust and I abosutely hate it! I would like to find a quality exhaust that has better flow than factory but also quiets the car way down but still sounds decent(It's pretty much a cruising car that might see a little track time). I've listened to some of the clips but can't really tell. I was something like my buddies car with headers, stock catback with a flowmaster muffler but I no longer have the stock catback and would like a 3" exhaust to breath a little better.

Any input helps guys. I'm still pretty new to the LS1 stuff( have had 2 LT1's and bracket race one)
I have QTP LTs and i love in IL... now granite i store my car in winter so i can not tell what salt does to them. And i have great clearance. I have NEVER hit my LTs.... Plus SS is soooo sexy

Stay away from choke master. I would get rid of the LM espically if you go with LTs and O/R Y... Can you say RASP... Now to quiet the car down, i wold go with Hooker Aerochamber or MagnaFlow. Both great flowing c/b.....

hope this helps a little bit?
Old 05-08-2009, 01:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A friend went with Jet Hot LT's, ORY, and Magnaflow on his 98 Z28 and it sounds pretty good. There is still some rasp, but you are going to get that with any ORY setup, unless you have a Flowmaster (or similar) Merge installed. Anyways, here are some clips of Dave's car right after completing his install. See what you think...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2IsjxLb6d4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRIIx7msJks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leqiQS0S-aA
Old 05-08-2009, 11:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the responses guys. I like the sound of the second and it's not too loud. I will probably go with the qtp's, custom y and the magnaflow.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:25 AM
12 Second Club

I definitely recommend the magnaflow. It sounds very good and flows well too. For instance, my dual cutouts only gained 7 peak rwhp over my magnaflow.