Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Replaced my Torsen rear with Auburn rear from a 94 and now have serious vibration

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 08:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Replaced my Torsen rear with Auburn rear from a 94 and now have serious vibration

Ok so I needed to replace my rear end and got a cheap rear end from a 94 Camaro.
After I put it in I have a ton of vibration...anything above 35mph rumbles the car to pieces.
I thought that maybe there was a bent axle so I replaced both with spares I had and it didnt help, replaced my Ujoints (even though I didnt have this problem before replacing the rear) and that didnt help.

I did notice the pinion was loose so I snugged that back down and it still didnt help.
One question and I doubt it has anything to do with it BUT when I got the aubrun rear end it didnt have the c clips for the axles so I reused the ones from my 99 torsen rear end. I noticed the diffs are different with how the c clips are held in place but are they the same clips?

Is there a certain way that I should have installed the clips, was I even supposed to remove the pinion shaft to install the c clips, could I have screwed something up by doing so?<----this is a very important question!

I never even seen one of these rear ends and I assumed to get the c clips out you had to remove the pinion shaft (as pictured below) but now I am thinking that I could have screwed something up, if there is a way.

Thanks for any help with this, I would hate to replace the rear end again if I can save this one. The rear end is super quiet also.
Attached Thumbnails Replaced my Torsen rear with Auburn rear from a 94 and now have serious vibration-diff-exploded.jpg