Sponsored by:

Refreshing the stock shortblock

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 09:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Refreshing the stock shortblock

Hey everyone.

Im planning on boosting my motor. It was running about 190psi static compression last year (n/a), so im thinking its starting to wear.

Id like to pull the motor apart, have the block hot tanked (its an iron 6.0L), line honed and honed.

Question is, if i have the hone done, can i re-use the original pistons that were in the motor?

Id like to have the block machine work done so the block is freshened, the crank main bore is good so i can stud it, then just to clean up the cylinder walls.

Ill put in new rod bolts, rings, bearings, main studs etc.

But id like to re-use the crank, rods and pistons.

All help is greatly appreciated. Otherwise ill have to step it up and have it bored .030 over, which id like to avoid if at all possible

Sheldon
Old 05-09-2009, 11:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It will probly depend on how much the machine shop has to take out of the cylinders to clean them up and make them round. Depending on how much power you want, forged rods and pistons might be something to think about, still using the block and stock crank.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might be able to reuse the stock pistons after a hone job, just whip out your micrometers and measure the inside bore, the piston OD, and get your side clearance calculated.