Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

converter not spinning freely

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 07:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default converter not spinning freely

i did my 4l80 swap and i read on here that the converter should spin freely when its bolted up to the flex plate... well it does spin freely except for when it goes to the protruded part where the converter bolts go thru to bolt to the converter, it kinda rubs there, but i can spin it past there with just a little bit of force... so i am wondering if this is fine when you guys say spin freely or if i have to take my trans out and try seating the converter on the pump again.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:05 AM
On The Tree

can someone chime in
Old 05-12-2009, 08:09 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by turboescalade
i did my 4l80 swap and i read on here that the converter should spin freely when its bolted up to the flex plate... well it does spin freely except for when it goes to the protruded part where the converter bolts go thru to bolt to the converter, it kinda rubs there, but i can spin it past there with just a little bit of force... so i am wondering if this is fine when you guys say spin freely or if i have to take my trans out and try seating the converter on the pump again.

The converter should spin freely before its bolted to the flex plate. After its bolted it will be a bit difficult due to engine compression.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 05-12-2009, 08:12 AM
On The Tree

so before its bolted to the flexplate, i should be able to spin the converter all the way around without it rubbing against the flexplate?
Old 05-12-2009, 08:59 AM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Correct - spin by hand when not bolted to the flex-plate. If you are having problems you probably don't have the converter seated all the way into the trans. If this is the case and you already bolted the trans to the engine, you might have damaged the pump. The other possibility is converter was built to tall or the flex-plate is wrong style or installed wrong.

Chris