Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need some advice about push rods and rockers as well as lifters with .595 lift cam

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 12:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I need some advice about push rods and rockers as well as lifters with .595 lift cam

Hey yall as the title says i ned advice about geting new rockers push rods and lifters for my car, i have a cam that has a .595 lift intake and exhaust and i need to know which ratio to go with on the rockers and what company is budget friendly and still makes a good product. I figure on staying with the stock ratio to keep away from piston to valve clearance issues but what is your opinion(isnt the stock ratio 1.7).

The push rods i am gonna go with chrome moly but i am not sure what length i would need with that lift and what is the best thickness and brand for the budget friendly.

My car currently has over 100k on the clock and i figure if i am gonna be changing the rockers cam and push rods why not change to new lifters as well, id like to sta with roller but arent these cars from the factory hydraulic(i know that solid gives better tq charachteristics but i dont feel like having to jack with valve lash adjustment to much). Id like to stay with the hydraulic roller and i figured with that many miles it would be good/cheap insurance from having to pull it all back out again to change a lifter that went kaput.

Any advice and help is greatly appreciated and thanks for your time to read this. again thanks in advance.
James
Old 05-12-2009, 05:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Anyone?
Old 05-12-2009, 06:45 AM
On The Tree

I've got a .595I/.605E cam in my car. Stock rockers and lifters. Comp 918 springs and Manley 7.400 pushrods. Have had no issues for about 1000 miles street driving, 80 hard miles at Road America and 3 1/4 mile passes.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:44 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would say 90% of the people here dont change out rockers, its typically the pushrods and springs like the guy above
Old 05-12-2009, 09:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

the only reason i ask about the rockers is cause i dont want needle bearings in my engine lol that woul be a pain to deal with plus the mile and that extra lift i am not sure if it would be adding up to a needle bearing in engine issue whats yalls take on that.

I ask about the lifters for the same reason, the miles on the car its over 100k and i am just un easy about that much extra lift and the stock worn out parts if you know what i am saying.

If yall still say go ahead with the stockers then so be it i will upgrade later and just get the push rods.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:09 AM
On The Tree

Comes down to you on that one. With over 100k, I'd be kind of skeptic too. All depends whether or not you wanna yank the heads off to do the lifters.

But honestly, my motor has 75k on it. 25k is a pretty big difference, but it depends on your driving habits and maintenance on the motor as well. If you beat the car within an inch of its life every day, then yea, I'd change some ****. If you vary it up like 95% of normal car enthusiasts then I'd say you'd be ok. I didn't even think once(yea, not twice) about NOT changing my lifters or RRs. Never really popped into my head once I found out that they're perfectly fine for a cam only set up.

Edit: I just realized the hypocrisy in my post. Haha. Sorry, been up all night getting ready for sleep. Take what I said at face value. My car doesn't live an easy life, but it gets treated well if that makes sense.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I changed mine out. I used crane 1.8 Gold race roller rockers If you are going to use 1.8's then get a cam with .551 lift, that way when u install the rockers total lift will bring it to .589 like mine. The rockers add about .030 of lift to cam. Visit this site

www.vincihiperformance.com
Old 05-13-2009, 11:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

I already have the cam waiting to go in
i bought a head and cam package an already id the heads but havnt gotten around to the cam yet. Its already at .595 lift and i dont want to raise it anymore than that so id probly go with the stock ratio if i change them(which is what 1.7 fo the stock rockers?).

The previous owner who put the miles on the car i am sure babied it alot and there mostly highway or just driving miles. anyway i will probly just hold off on the lifters(if you have to yank the heads which i am sure you do) and then just later on get the rockers and for now get the new push rods.

I think i plan on later one changing my head gaskets to the cometics to get a tighter quench and bump the compression a little more and when i do that i will probly replace the lifters at that time along with the rockers.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for yalls input