Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Nitrous tuning works..

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 02:10 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Nitrous tuning works..

1- Running the NXL I am at 11.8:1 afr on motor, then spray and it falls to 10:1 or even a little fatter in mid 9's. This is with a 180 jet, 92 pump mix with 103octane, 27* timing.

Should I
A) Adjust NA AFR closer to 13:1 and dial in jets for 11.x:1.

B) Get the NA AFR at around 12.3 and the jet the kit to spray at same 12.3:1 AFR?
I was thinking to get afr dialed in at 12.4 ish and then jet the kit to spray and maintain a 11.7-12.0:1 Keeping it a little fat. And reduce timing. This seems like a safe approach. But is it safe to dial my afr in for 13.1:1 NA, and just use jets to drop it into the 11.x:1 afr on spray?

Ughh....
Old 11-03-2003, 06:27 AM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Get the motor to an ideal a/f ratio. Mine is hovering at about 12.5 to 12.8. When you add the nitrous it will fatten up, it doesn't tune like a NA application. Leave it between 10.5 and 11.0. It will be a lot safer then trying to run it like it's NA. Also, your timing is just as critical as your AF. Make sure you get that set up pretty good.

I have not had any problems running the NX jet map. As long as you get the timing down it should be pretty safe.
Old 11-03-2003, 08:50 AM
Restricted User

So, I should dial my motor for the 13:1 (on street not dyno) and tune the nitrous for an afr of around 10.5-11 when actually spraying and obviously reduce my spark some more for the little 180 DP.

Whats is the effect of having the too much timing, other than burning up the plugs, and or engine? Is there a area of too much timing were you are hurtign your performance but not yet your engine?
Old 11-03-2003, 09:00 AM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good question. So with the timing, I basically work it in to get the optimal amount of power out of the car. Then hit the track with it. When you finish your run pull a couple plugs at the turnaround down there. Check the plugs and you should see a blue line literally burned right into the strap of the plug. If you drive the car back the blue line will move and will be meaningless. Anyway, you want that line to appear as close as you can get to the base of the strap down by the threads. At the moment my car shows the timing mark about two to three degrees advanced still because it's up on the bend of the plug, but it's very safe. I've had a lot of the professional racers here take a look and they indicated that the basic tune that is in the car is a very safe for it. That's using little more than the NX jet map and some pulls on the dyno to set the timing up.

The main point about getting your timing right is to get rid of any pinging and other garbage that shows up on the dyno. At the moment I'm playing it safe and I'm not trying to break any records yet. To that point I have not yet pushed on the car very hard and I have not had any desire to push the limits of where timing needs to be just yet. Call me a chicken ****, but I just got it all together and the last thing I want to do is pull the pistons or chunk a rod because I wanted an extra 10th. Just keep working with it and you'll learn where you need to be.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Very good information derty. I agree completely
Old 11-03-2003, 09:43 PM
Restricted User

Thank you much.