Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters
View Poll Results: Which flywheel to go with?
28 LB Billet Steel
0%
15 LB Chromoly
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Help me decide what flywheel to go with!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 11:50 AM
12 Second Club

Received 462 Likes on 369 Posts

Default Help me decide what flywheel to go with!

I'm about to order my new clutch from Monster Clutches and I am debating on which flywheel to go with. They have a 28 LB SFI billet steel flywheel or a 15 LB chromoly flywheel. Here's the clutch:

http://www.monsterclutches.com/level3clutch.html

I have never driven a manual trans car with a lighter flywheel, but I hear it revs faster and you'll see about a 5 RWHP gain over the heavier flywheel. This car is mostly a toy, even though I drive it nearly every day, so if it's slightly touchy with a lighter flywheel I won't mind. However, if it's going to make it a real pain in the *** to drive, then I'd rather not go with the lighter one. I drag race a lot and a lot of people say that a heavier flywheel launches the car better, but I think the additional inertia would make me more likely to spin off the line on drag radials. This is something I am not sure about, just hypothesizing. If you have experience with running a lighter flywheel in a car that gets drag raced and street driven a lot, chime in. I need some input before I make my decision.

Also, specs on my car will be approx. 3600 lbs, 4.10 gears, and around 420 RWHP, if that helps. Thanks!
Old 05-16-2009, 07:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm on the same boat