LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Im tired of this car!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 02:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Im tired of this car!!!

ok i have a 96 pontiac trans am. not a ls1 but its a lt1. ok i have had this problem before....and i wus told it was the distributor or so i wus told. i didnt beleive it i ended up replaceing the map sensor ignition sensor and the sensor on the top of the manifold. cant remember wat its called. i also had the computer completely wiped out and re programmed. i still have a tiny idle problem. but ne ways i eventually replaced the destributor and it has been running great and starting every time. i have just recently started givin it a little bit of hell. burnin tire here and there. small races and it has started doin the same thing it use to. after i have it running for a while its all good. but if i let it sit for more than a couple hours it will not start....i just recently had to drain the tank because of bad gas and that is the 2nd time i had to do it since i bought my new fuel pump. so i ask is it maybe the fuel pump goin bad or the distributor being faulty. i was exactly one week from havin the motor sent off and stroked out to a 383 but i cant get over this hump. i need your guys help extremely badly.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

you need to post in the LT1 section.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:53 AM
10 Second Club

I say fuel pump
Old 05-18-2009, 11:16 PM

yeah it wus just a quick post and ls1 and lt1's have little differences. intake heads and a few other things.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:17 PM

i just need some ideas.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lt1 and LS1 are completely different animals. Sounds like its your dist again.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:53 AM
TECH Regular

first off.. this is not a kiddy forum learn how to spell. second.. is your scroller broken? theres a little tab towards the bottom that says lt1.. use that.

1. start with a fuel filter.

2. fuel pump, get a pressure guage and see what pressure you have.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:56 AM
11 Second Club

Check the battery. It might be bad and not holding a charge. Same thing happened with my car this winter and I replaced it. Starts up fine now every time.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:14 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JTSLP559
first off.. this is not a kiddy forum learn how to spell. second.. is your scroller broken? theres a little tab towards the bottom that says lt1.. use that.

1. start with a fuel filter.

2. fuel pump, get a pressure guage and see what pressure you have.
+1

and it's WAS not wus
Old 05-19-2009, 10:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LT1s have an OptiSpark, not a conventional distributor...and when it fails it usually causes audible misfiring.

I'd recommend, in addition to fixing your spelling so your posts are legible, getting a fuel pressure gauge and seeing how much fuel pressure is present at the rails during cranking. Should be 43psi on an LT1 if memory serves, definitely no less than 35 and no more than 50.

Get a gauge, test your fuel pressure, and report back with the results.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crainholio
LT1s have an OptiSpark, not a conventional distributor...and when it fails it usually causes audible misfiring.

I'd recommend, in addition to fixing your spelling so your posts are legible, getting a fuel pressure gauge and seeing how much fuel pressure is present at the rails during cranking. Should be 43psi on an LT1 if memory serves, definitely no less than 35 and no more than 50.

Get a gauge, test your fuel pressure, and report back with the results.
also with the vacuum line disconnected from the FPR
Old 05-19-2009, 03:08 PM

besides all the dousche spelling comments i really appreciate the help. It cannot be the battery. My starter will rotate but it will not crank. I haver replaced fuel filters several times but i have had 2 full tanks of bad gas since then so that is a possibility. i have replaced the fuel pump and i can hear it kick on with every turn of the key. Maybe this will help. It doesnt want to start after it sits for a while. But after i try to start it then i can wait about 20 min and come out and it will crank over a little bit rough. Let me know if that helped. WUS! lol
Old 05-19-2009, 04:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ghstfacekilr
besides all the dousche spelling comments i really appreciate the help.
Can't even spell "douche" right??

Whip out your fuel pressure gauge and go get us a number.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:42 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Spiers
you need to post in the LT1 section.
this is the lt1 section is it not?
Old 05-19-2009, 08:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by allenwesley
this is the lt1 section is it not?
I'm guessing the thread was moved.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried a new ICM. It could be your ICM getting heatsoaked, and not wanting to cooperate, since they are mounted on the front of the driver's side head. My car sort of has the same problem yours does. But, it always starts on the second try atleast. Everyone's told me that it's most likely the ICM. I just need to get around to trying out a new one to see if it helps anything.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:54 PM

Problem with the fuel pump (maybe)...lol
Old 05-20-2009, 06:45 AM
TECH Regular

Seems to me I don't think I would ever get an LS1 and dare ask a question that displeases the LS1 godlike car owners that they are over on their mountain top reacting the way they did to the post/question. What a bunch of arrogant asses. There was a better way to deal with that post than post snotty *** spelling mistake jab responses.

Anyway, if it is the ICM he should probably try and get it spaced off the head anyway and see if that helps as well. The new part is like $130, so I would at least space it off the head at the same time I replaced it if I spent that hoping it would fix it. Sounds like fuel issues to me though or IAC. Especially if he has old gas issues. Old/bad gas does terrible things inside motors...
Old 05-20-2009, 09:40 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by creepingdeath94
Seems to me I don't think I would ever get an LS1 and dare ask a question that displeases the LS1 godlike car owners that they are over on their mountain top reacting the way they did to the post/question. What a bunch of arrogant asses. There was a better way to deal with that post than post snotty *** spelling mistake jab responses.
Is 3rd grade level spelling and grammar the norm in LT1 land?

"Wus" is baby talk, not a spelling mistake. This isn't a Honda VTEC forum.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:18 PM
TECH Regular

How he spells/writes on the forum is irrelevant to the fact that he has questions regarding what to do to fix a problem he has with his CAR...not his English term paper. I have seen FAR worse AOL speak/type on here and not seen the level of grief this guy got for it. I understand the need to be clear and concise when describing a problem, but if you know what is trying to be said as the word was just misspelled, than let it be at that. If it is impossible to understand, then have him clarify what he was unclear on or don't respond at all.

Whether or not you have an LTx, LSx, L98, whatever, spelling and grammar is most likely the last thing on your mind when trying to fix your problematic car...unless of course you spend the vast majority of your time typing on computers over actually turning wrenches.

Last edited by creepingdeath94; 05-20-2009 at 01:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Im tired of this car!!!