Sea Doo techs or owners inside for a little troubleshooting please

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 09:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Sea Doo techs or owners inside for a little troubleshooting please

Ok my parents have a pair of 2006 Seadoo GTI SE's. Both ran perfect all last season. My father consulted with the guy who winterized them the winter before and followed his recommendations as how to winterize them so late in the season since we still took them out when it was getting cooler, and then we had a freeze out of no where lol. Anyways he filled both of them up with gas and put fuel stabilizer in both tanks and covered them up and left them on the lift for the winter.

Fast forward to yesterday afternoon. I was out there to pickup my daughter who spent the weekend with them, and decided to check out the boat and seadoos before memorial weekend down there(cedar creek). I get one of them of the lift and it starts up just fine. Idle seems a little rough. Idle out of the bay and try to get on it to run across the lake and blow out the cobwebs so to speak. Well at full throttle I could only get it up to 5,xxx rpm's. And from 2500-3300 rpm it has a bad misfire, runs very rough. Well I bring it back in and check the plugs and they are perfectly fine. They will be replaced this week any ways; but I don't think that is the problem. I am sure it is not the fuel or sedement at the bottom of the tank as I thoroughly sloshed it around in the white caps to get it all mixed up again, and see if I could clear up anything that could be at the fuel pickup line.

My question is; could it be a coil pack or something worse? Please give any of your past experience or current experience with this or similar problems, as I would like to fix it for them before my mom just has someone come out to the lake and service it there.

And for reference the other one I took out a little later and it ran PERFECT!!! So that makes me think it was not something with the process of getting it ready to be stored all winter.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:21 AM
Teching In

That happened to my dad's waverunner a few years back. I don't remember exactly what it was, but I'm wanting to say it was something to do with the ignition. I do know that on ATV's if the battery is old or not fully charged it won't reach the redline and cut out/miss. If that's not the case, it is probably a coil pack. The wire may also be fried and arcing to something other than the plug. Might want to see if they run close to anything else that is a conductor.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:18 AM
11 Second Club

you also want to check and make sure that none of the vacum hoses have dried up and sucking air. The vacum lines run water throught the exhaust and cool the pipe at certain RPM's to help make more power. I had a 93 seedoo do this and it was as simple as replacing one of the rubber lines that had dried up and cracked. just go over the whole thing and look for anything unusual and most of the time it is something so simple.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by FANCHERFAST
you also want to check and make sure that none of the vacum hoses have dried up and sucking air. The vacum lines run water throught the exhaust and cool the pipe at certain RPM's to help make more power. I had a 93 seedoo do this and it was as simple as replacing one of the rubber lines that had dried up and cracked. just go over the whole thing and look for anything unusual and most of the time it is something so simple.
I don't think the newer ones have said vacuum lines as they have now switched to closed loop cooling systems, opposed to the older fresh water fed cooling.

Quick Reply: Sea Doo techs or owners inside for a little troubleshooting please