Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Self adjusting vs. non adjustable clutch

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Self adjusting vs. non adjustable clutch

The stock LS1-LS7 clutch (LUK) is self adjustable, the majority of the aftermarket clutches aren't.

Is there a real difference between both styles? Does the self adjustable last longer?

I have the impression that the self adjustable mechanism can create problems at high RPM (shifting becomes difficult).
Is that possible?

Thanks for any comment

Stefano
Old 05-19-2009, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

T t t
Old 05-19-2009, 05:05 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tici, Both the LS1 and LS7 stock assemblies use SAC-type (Self-Adjusting Covers). The general idea associated with using these covers is that they provide a consistent engagement point throughout the life of the clutch. As the disc wears the plate will ratchet accordingly as it maintains the original geometry.

The down side of SAC plates is that they can misadjust and when this occurs the plate will not actuate as it should. Most aftermarket manufactures utilize a non-SAC type plate because they are less prone to issues of release and are able to provide a higher-clamp load and thus allow for greater torque capacity that self-adjusters.

Life expectency is relative to a number of factors and as such it is hard to guarantee any set lifespan for an SAC or non-SAC type plate. But, because of the reduction in complications associated with moving to a non-SAC plate it is generally beleived that non-SAC plates are more durable. I hope this info helps. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,
Old 05-19-2009, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

My problem with the actual LS6 stock clutch is that it chatters a little (uncommon with a stock clutch) and that it's very hard to shift at high rmp (above 5000).
Certain days the clutch feels firm, then you drive the car hard for a moment and then it feels softer for a while.
I tried to bleed the system to see if this incostancy was related to the hydraulics but without success (I use to pressure bleed them and I'm sure it works well).

So the only thing I can imagine is the self adjusting system that moves a little and produces every time a different clutch reaction.

I don't race or make funny things, this is a daily drive. I drive it fast but never launch it like at the drag. The stock clutch holds the actual power no problems.

I need to remove the tranny and take a look at the engine so I was considering to try a different clutch with a more consistent behaviour.

Stefano
Old 05-20-2009, 08:01 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SAC mechanisms can lead to some inconsistencies in pedal and overall feel...but this is generally the hallmark of a hydraulic system issue. Check the fluid in the reservior to see if it is discolored or cloudy. If it is you would benefit from a flush and refill. If you are confident that you have bled the system thuroughly and the fluid looks good then you could certainly pull the trans to get a closer look at the clutch kit. If you wanted to you could send me pics of the OE parts when you get them out and I will be happy to provide information on what I see. If you decide to get another clutch, that uses a non-SAC type plate, then give me a call and I will be happy to help you. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Self adjusting vs. non adjustable clutch