Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you switch A4 to manual tranny if you could and if you had a 427 C5R motor?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you switch A4 to manual tranny if you could and if you had a 427 C5R motor?

I am seriously considering swapping out to a built race prepped M6 Tranny (RODNEY's/Crashed 94s tranny) as i am getting sick and tired of getting the tuning bugs worked out of my 98 vert now powered by my MTI built 427 C5R LS6 headed motor (car in question is a 98 C5). The 97 and 98s are known for having ALOT of shifting/tuning bugs when it comes to high rpm shifting at WOT, especially on the 2/3 shift and converting to a stick would solve all of my headaches.

I realize that if stay patient and give the A4 tranny one more season to get the bugs worked out my car will certainly et better with an A4 tranny than it will with a stick and of course will be less likely to break upon launch at the track. That being said, my car is 99% predominately a weekend warrior street car which is driven on the highway alot and we all know how fun six speeds are on the street but don't get me wrong if i could get the bugs worked out i love the point and shoot ability of the A4 in a big HP/TQ machine and that's my preference but i hate the tuning and shifting bugs which have always been inherent in my 98.

Help me make my mind up. Stick with the A4 and even consider going to a seperate stand alone A4 TCI computer for fine tuning if i can't get the bugs worked out with LS1 eidt or GO WITH A MANUAL TRANNY and get rid of all my tuning WOES!

THANKS
Old 11-04-2003, 10:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about the shifting problems, I never had them, but I am thinking hard about swapping out to a FLP T-56. I think I will be able to control the power better than w/ my A4, plus I race on the highway as well. It is just a matter of finding a place to do the swap for me.
Old 11-06-2003, 09:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

an a4 stalled with alot of power in my opinion is not a street friendly car. If you drive around town showing off your car or road race more than going to the drag strip then you would like the M6. I am probably going to do same thing due to stret manners of an a4 stalled.
Old 11-06-2003, 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I went to FLP today and met with my old bud, CHUCK, and he is going to build me his latest stage 5 4l65E tranny in one month and with that trans and FLPs (DAN BILL's) awesome tuning i am confident that i will be good to go stickin with an awesome point and shoot aggressively stalled A4 tranny!
Old 11-07-2003, 10:32 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Up to you.

Getting the shiftpoints right IMO is a matter of going to the track and setting them low and then working your way up. What works on slicks might be different on radials, I'd hit the limiter on radials because the wheelspin was crazy with my old stroker.