Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Any reason not to use hard fuel line for my fuel system?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 03:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any reason not to use hard fuel line for my fuel system?

Ok looks to add bigger fuel lines to my GTO looking at the jegs alum hard lines?

thinking of going 1/2 Should be lighter over the whole run ?
Old 05-22-2009, 09:06 AM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been looking at going with the 1/2" aluminum line and have also checked out annealed stainless 1/2" line I saw on Ebay. Supposedly the annealed stainless is flexible, although I'm sure aluminum would be much easier to work with. One thing I'm unsure of is the compatibility of stainless line with aluminum fittings.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Hard line is an excellent choice. Whatever you do, don't use rubber lined steel braided line.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:11 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hard lines are a decent alternative, but keep in mind that they can be difficult to bend in the tight confines of our cars.

The stainless is very stiff & will crimp or kink, making the bends restrictive.
Aluminum will bend easier, but is more succeptible to restricting at the bends.
You better have a good bender for this. You are not doing this with your fingers or be bending it around a pipe etc.

Both require gradual bends which can be limiting under the car. I've used them before & it requires some time to get right.... & if you mess up, you either start over or splice in anoher piece (which I do not recommend)

As for compression fittings, you should not mix metals... eg. use stainless fittings with stainless & so on. The different material hardnesses between the metals can cause long term sealing problems so be careful. Fuel leaks can get ugly.

If you are looking for an alternative, I can now provide different braided line materials (teflon lined, & optional nomex braiding etc.) for lighter weight, superior performance & no fuel smell.