General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

clunking or banging noise under car

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 07:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clunking or banging noise under car

when i get in my car after it has sat for a little while and put it in reverse and let off the clutch it will clunk or bump just one time. and its not loud just enough to know its there. it will do it in the forward gears only if it has sat for a day or so without being driven. it only does it this one time until the car sits again. i dont think its the transmission mount because it doesnt do it every time. i'm just not sure what it is.. i havent had chance to get the car up on the lift and check everything. any ideas what it could be?
Old 05-24-2009, 11:33 PM
Staging Lane

maybe the torque arm bushing, when i bougth my car that bushing was absolute damaged so i get one from energy suspension for 11 buks the P.N. its 3.1111G
Old 05-26-2009, 06:08 PM
On The Tree

maybe so i was thinking something along the lines of that.. still not sure though
Old 05-26-2009, 11:06 PM
Staging Lane

well my car was doing almost in reverse but when the trans shift down too sooo take a look under the car, the torque arm make the diff. stay in your place, so when your bushing are damage the torque arm moves up and down hiting on the tranny, at the begin i was thinking theres something wrong in the susp. or some kind of failure in the rear brakes
Old 05-27-2009, 02:24 AM
Staging Lane

i would certainly suggest checking the transmission mount. I just had a similar situation. Only took me like 20 mins or so to swap it.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:26 AM
Staging Lane

ehh...didnt notice you had an m6. I heard they're mounts are different but i would still check it.