Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help on how to drag race at the track

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help on how to drag race at the track

have a 2002 Camaro SS M6 I pretty much just have full exhaust with LT and 3inch true duals.This Thursday I am going to the local track 1/8.I have street tires so do I need to do a burnout and another question I know to take off almost by the end of the third yellow light but not to early,so i was wondering how do you keep the car from moving when waiting for the green light without pressing the brake pedal I want to have my foot on the clutch and one on the gas so I can take off quick but I dont know if I take my foot off the brake pedal will the car roll back or forth?Any help will help its my first time running my car but I been going so I been paying attention.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:16 PM
FormerVendor

roll around the water box, dont drive thru it. back up into the water box and do a small burnout. On street tires you really dont need to heat the tires, you just want to clean them off.

do you have a stock clutch?

Last edited by Mike@HSW; 05-24-2009 at 10:23 PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:49 PM
TECH Regular

Only going to the track will tell if you roll at all or not. My local track is pretty flat, so I can have my foot off the brake.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:57 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mike@HSW
roll around the water box, dont drive thru it. back up into the water box and do a small burnout. On street tires you really dont need to heat the tires, you just want to clean them off.

do you have a stock clutch?
I have the Centerforce Dual Friction I just dont want to take off super hard you know how f-body rear end is.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:58 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 4WOFURY
Only going to the track will tell if you roll at all or not. My local track is pretty flat, so I can have my foot off the brake.
Yeah thats what I figured,thats the only way I am gong to find out.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:36 AM
TECH Resident

Is this your first time running this car or first time running any car. If it's your first time running at the track, I would suggest spending some time watching and have an experienced person along to guide you. I've saw some dangerous **** happen due to a lack of experience.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:50 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With low tire psi on the rear tires you will find it hard to roll. Also, make sure you have you clutch out a hair to put some preload on the driveline. Just come out slow with it and you will feel it start to preload. This is better than just shocking the driveline IMO. Hope this helps.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Razor_Blade
Is this your first time running this car or first time running any car. If it's your first time running at the track, I would suggest spending some time watching and have an experienced person along to guide you. I've saw some dangerous **** happen due to a lack of experience.
It's the first time running any car at the track but I been watching.Also I dont need anybody to guide me if your afraid of me not knowing how to drive, I can drive I been racing on the streets since I started driving I can handle a car not like them other people that I seen loose control of there car b/c it starts to fish tail and they start turning the wheel you just have to let it do its thing then it will get traction again and straighten out.But thanks
Old 05-26-2009, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 03 BUSA
With low tire psi on the rear tires you will find it hard to roll. Also, make sure you have you clutch out a hair to put some preload on the driveline. Just come out slow with it and you will feel it start to preload. This is better than just shocking the driveline IMO. Hope this helps.
I have 35 psi right now what do I need to bring it down to?And if I preload the clutch it's going to start to roll.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:36 PM
12 Second Club

You can use your e-brake to hold you that should help.. And just take it easy get a air compresser that plugs into the cig lighter and play with the pressure til you find a good spot.. Hope this helps.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:21 PM
10 Second Club

I think 35 psi would be too much. I run 12-14 in the et streets. Not sure you want to go that low on street tires though. Maybe someone will chime in with a better psi.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:27 PM
Teching In

E-brake??? I think he's just messing with you. just turn your left foot sideways and push both pedals down. Staging very shallow will give you more roll-out and you need to hold it there or you will foul, believe me, I know. Please don't be offended by what razor blade said,
I've seen some dumb things done by good guys, me included. Track etiquette is important and every place is different, who exits first, return road & pit speed and so on.
Good luck and have fun!
Old 05-26-2009, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by the schoob
E-brake??? I think he's just messing with you. just turn your left foot sideways and push both pedals down. Staging very shallow will give you more roll-out and you need to hold it there or you will foul, believe me, I know. Please don't be offended by what razor blade said,
I've seen some dumb things done by good guys, me included. Track etiquette is important and every place is different, who exits first, return road & pit speed and so on.
Good luck and have fun!
That is what I was going to say.. E-Brake lol
Old 05-26-2009, 10:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am going to be running at the track on friday on street tires I am going to run 20-25 psi in mine somehwere around there
Old 05-27-2009, 08:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by tonys02slpss
It's the first time running any car at the track but I been watching.Also I dont need anybody to guide me if your afraid of me not knowing how to drive, I can drive I been racing on the streets since I started driving I can handle a car not like them other people that I seen loose control of there car b/c it starts to fish tail and they start turning the wheel you just have to let it do its thing then it will get traction again and straighten out.But thanks

Originally Posted by the schoob
Please don't be offended by what razor blade said,
Good luck and have fun!

Like schoob said, I wasn't insinuating that you couldn't handle the car.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:34 AM
12 Second Club

26 PSI is a good start then lower it a little at a time to see what works for you. Extreamly low profile tires don't benifit much from reduced tire pressures. Why do you run 35 PSI on the street? Doesn't your door sticker say 30 PSI?