Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How badly do all of your HAL's/QA1's leak? I've heard of issues w/ daily driving?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 09:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question How badly do all of your HAL's/QA1's leak? I've heard of issues w/ daily driving?

It's time for a new drag shock since I've been on stockers for 41000 miles, and the new R Series HAL's look very promising. Problem is I've heard a lot of horror stories.

What is the best Adjustable Street/Strip shock? My friends' HAL's all have leaked at some point, and customer service is substandard from what I'm told too.

Is this isolated or is everyone having the same problems?

Also, does anyone know when the R series will come out with a rear shock?
Old 11-06-2003, 10:00 PM
Staging Lane

Mine haven't leaked yet. I had them put on in March. I have about 30 or so passes and about 4k miles on them. No issues as of yet. I haven't run across anyone with this problem yet. My mechanic has put on several sets and he had nothing but praise for them when I had the front struts and springs put on. So far so good.
Old 11-07-2003, 05:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by verbs
What is the best Adjustable Street/Strip shock? My friends' HAL's all have leaked at some point, and customer service is substandard from what I'm told too.
Overall, we have the best luck with HAL's for drag racing (and street/strip) use.
Occasionally we have a customer call with a leaking shock, but it certainly doesn't happen to everyone with the HAL shocks. The most common cause of the shocks leaking is turning the **** too far. HAL's warranty policy is that they will rebuild, not replace warranty shocks. What most people do if they have had a problem is purchase a single new shock so they can send one to be rebuilt @ no charge, then you have a spare in case it happens again.

Angie
Old 11-07-2003, 10:44 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,222 Likes on 779 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I have seen a few QA1 (HAL) shocks leak here and there, and from what I have seen, a pair I purchased came off of a low 9 second car and one was bad, fixed it and their fine.

The other two times I have seen it, both owners were driving with them on full loose on the street for a few months and basically broke the seal on them. Driving around with ANY drag shock at full loose on the street a lot will greatly shorten their life. They are adjustable for a reason.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

no problems with mine after a year or so.

Quick Reply: How badly do all of your HAL's/QA1's leak? I've heard of issues w/ daily driving?