Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bench tune needed if dyno later?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 03:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bench tune needed if dyno later?

I had posted in the tune section, thought I might get more responses here........

Just wondering if I need to spend the money to send my PCM to flash for a swap and tune for a cam (224/224 .581/.581 111las) and LT headers. Or can I wait untill I can drive to a dyno? Other then a cam, headers, no smog, cold air intake, etc, it's stock 5.3 from there. I just want to be able to get it up and running to check everything before I have it dyno tuned. Thanks for any info.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:55 PM
On The Tree

My tuner told me that if I wanted my VATs disabled and my fan switches turned on the basics done to run stand alone, he'd do it for $125. this gets me running and able to work out the bugs before exhaust and cam swap

When I came back for the dyno tune, he'd apply all of the $125 except $25 to do the dyno tuning.

Talk with your tuner and see what he'll do for you. He should be able to tell you too if it will run without a tune for the cam you want to put in
Old 06-02-2009, 06:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

I already have the cam swap done, with the engine on the stand, so that wont work. I just want to be able to install everything, fire it up to check for leaks or whatever, then drive to the dyno tune. The bench tune would be sent out of state. I have not found (or even looked) for a good dyno tune local in So Cal yet.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dpd069
My tuner told me that if I wanted my VATs disabled and my fan switches turned on the basics done to run stand alone, he'd do it for $125. this gets me running and able to work out the bugs before exhaust and cam swap

When I came back for the dyno tune, he'd apply all of the $125 except $25 to do the dyno tuning.

Talk with your tuner and see what he'll do for you. He should be able to tell you too if it will run without a tune for the cam you want to put in
who in phoenix are you using?
Old 06-03-2009, 05:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by sandking
I had posted in the tune section, thought I might get more responses here........

Just wondering if I need to spend the money to send my PCM to flash for a swap and tune for a cam (224/224 .581/.581 111las) and LT headers. Or can I wait untill I can drive to a dyno? Other then a cam, headers, no smog, cold air intake, etc, it's stock 5.3 from there. I just want to be able to get it up and running to check everything before I have it dyno tuned. Thanks for any info.
You didn't say what this is in, but I'm guessing it's not in the truck it came in originally, since you posted this in the conversions section. So at the very least you're going to have to have the VATS flashed out of the PCM, or you're not driving it to the dyno.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, in a '72 Blazer. Ok, I will just send it to have it tuned, then dialed in at the dyno. Thanks for the reply.