Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need help (i think broke something)

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 11:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help (i think broke something)

I was out driving and this greyish IS300 with turbo wants to race so we go from a 30mph roll. when I grabed second all i got was this bang noise, bad vibration, some clunks, and at one point it sounded like the driveshaft was rubing the floor. what do you guys think it is , a broken torque arm or what.
Old 11-08-2003, 12:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check your transmission mount. IF it's ok, look at the driveshaft, U-joints and torque arm. See what is bent or broken.

In my experience breaking transmission mounts, the driveshaft and/or transmission hit the floor under the console. This was a big problem on my 3rd gen (6 mounts). Start there....

Good luck!
Old 11-08-2003, 01:59 PM
Teching In

i jacked up the car today and first thing i found is my torque arm has a crack right by the bolts.
how much horsepower can the stock take because all i am running is 12.97 at 111 in the quarter with cutout and lid.
Old 11-16-2003, 04:22 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SunOrangeZ28
I was out driving and this greyish IS300 with turbo wants to race so we go from a 30mph roll. when I grabed second all i got was this bang noise, bad vibration, some clunks, and at one point it sounded like the driveshaft was rubing the floor. what do you guys think it is , a broken torque arm or what.
This sounds like my first experience with my ASR on while slamming second, just minus the vibration and rubbing issue. I would say that it would be your problem but I read that you found a crack so sorry, hope that you get that fixed.
Old 11-16-2003, 10:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the torque arm has been affected by fatigue cycles in your case. Ultimate horsepower will reach a level where you bend them, but I suspect yours cracked due to lots of "hammering gears". Not that it's bad to do so, it can be fun, but I suspect that it finally flexed enough to "work harden" (take a paperclip, bend it back and fourth until it heats up, hardens and snaps, same concept) and crack. I'd suggest an Edelbrock (good and inexpensive) or one from LG Motorsports (great stuff).

My thoughts.

Quick Reply: Need help (i think broke something)