Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSX conversion questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 05:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LSX conversion questions

I am in the process of resto-moding a 70 Chevelle and since I started my project I had always planned on purchasing an entire LS2 M6 GTO and pulling the Engine, Trans, ECU, Wiring harness, Fuel Tank, and Body ECU and harness off to use in my Chevelle. I've been watching the prices of the GTO's recently and they seem to be 6-10K or so and that's not a ton of money I'm wondering if I can do something similar for less money. So here are a few questions to all of you guys that have much more experience in this stuff than I do.

I have considered an LQ4, LQ9 or even an LY6, However all of these engines have come infront of automatic transmissions, I'm not 100% opposed to an auto, but I'd much rather a manual trans. I'm guessing that any T56 that came behind an LS based engine will bolt up? Also does the stock computer control just the engine? If I pull the engine wiring and harness out of a truck, can I put this infront of a 6 speed without any problems?

I've also read that the LY6 has the L92 heads and that you can swap the intake over to an LS3 intake and get a little more power out of it. Does changing the intake to the LS3 style have any issues with the stock ECU, or does that have to be reprogrammed?

One of the biggest reasons I wanted to go with the LS style engine is that I want my Chevelle to be a long haul cruiser. I'd like to be able to get in it, and drive it across country at the drop of a hat and not worry about reliability. I also want the possibility of excellent fuel mileage on the highway (I'm hoping for mid 20's) but I'd like it to make the hair on the back of my neck stand up if I take it to a track or a road course.

And the most important thing of all.... I need to do it all on a budget. I have a wife and three small kids. So Money isn't growing on trees. But I would like to be able to drive the damn thing before my 5 year old son gets his drivers license.

My plan with the GTO was to pull the parts I needed and sell the rest, I guess my plan would be the same with the Silverado.

Opinions, Suggestions...

Steve
Old 06-05-2009, 06:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can use any GM trans behind that motor. If you get an auto set up, just have the tune ignore the trans. Just get a 5.3 out of a truck, then find the trans you want. That will be a good budget.