General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

white smoke, random misfire?! no chk lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 03:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default white smoke, random misfire?! no chk lights

Yesterday, some buds and I went out and they said they could see clearish white smoke coming from my tailpipes while I hammered it. I also have noticed that I have random misfires throughout all cylinders when I hook up the diablo tuner. It also has a 11% long term fuel trim and idles not really ruff but, its not smooth. Despite all this, it runs great very strong especially up top. Mods are listed below. Any Ideas?
Old 06-08-2009, 04:20 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

white smoke = oil

When you nail the gas, oil will usually come through bad valve seals or bad rings. To have all of them misfiring though, thats unusual.

Unless you have a serious PCV oil issue where its dumping into the intake. I'd take the PCV oil return to the intake (right side bottom just after the TB) completely off and plug the port on the intake where the oil goes in. Go do a hard run and see if it happens. You can rule that out pretty quick at least.

Old 06-08-2009, 04:24 PM
12 Second Club

You dont think I might be running a bit lean? White smoke can be cause from that as well? I changed the oil every 3-5K miles I run amsoil 5-30w and between changes I never add any oil.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:01 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by pat-ls101
You dont think I might be running a bit lean? White smoke can be cause from that as well? I changed the oil every 3-5K miles I run amsoil 5-30w and between changes I never add any oil.
I've never heard that running lean causes any smoke at all. But if you do run too lean you can kill rings and pistons from the heat. Even get a hole in the piston from it, which would allow oil in.

Not saying this is what happened, I just know white smoke when the pdeal is hammered is oil.

Is it a long trail of smoke?

Old 06-08-2009, 06:32 PM
12 Second Club

no, its like a puff at high rpms and it doesnt use any oil. Also, I would think if it was really lean there would be a check light or something?

Quick Reply: white smoke, random misfire?! no chk lights