Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ran into a problem with Corvette Mounts and Truck A/C bracket

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 01:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Ran into a problem with Corvette Mounts and Truck A/C bracket

I tried to put the Corvette mounts on and discovered that the passenger side hits the lower mounting bolt of the A/C bracket on the LM7. Is the F-Body A/C bracket completely different? Looks very similar in pictures.

I could turn the motor mounts around (swap sides) but that puts the load about 2" further back. Not sure if that'd be a problem or not....
Old 06-09-2009, 03:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

After thinking about it further, I don't see that swapping sides with the Corvette mounts is an issue. Most of the adapter plates for using SBC mounts with LSx motors move the motor forward or rearward up to 2" anyway.

I'll try it and see. That'll solve the A/C bracket problem for now (I'm sure another will surface soon enough!). It also looks to me as though the A/C bracket from the LM7 would be strong enough even if I cut that back bolt tab off.

Any thoughts?
Old 06-09-2009, 04:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used all F-body stuff on my old sedan with the Corvette mounts and had no interference problem with the ac bracket. I did have to "massage" the right frame rail so I can get the ac belt on & off though. I hope your frame is at least as wide as mine (it is a Fatman frame...not Ford).

I should have set this thing up in the beginning with Air Ride, I am SOOO tired of the harsh ride and I've changed springs, shocks and coil-overs until I'm blue in the face. I am getting prices on the Air Ride stuff now.....finally.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the adapter plates I got from S&P, I had to cut off one of the mounting ears off of the compressor mount. I'm not sure if this is the same problem you're having, but that was my solution.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GA95DCMSS
On the adapter plates I got from S&P, I had to cut off one of the mounting ears off of the compressor mount. I'm not sure if this is the same problem you're having, but that was my solution.
I believe we're talking about the same interference issue. For now, I just removed the A/C bracket. Until I get the motor mounts finalized it's a moot point anyway.

BTW, although they'll fit either way, I decided against swapping the Corvette mounts from side-to-side. It actually would move the support point about 4" rearward which leaves a lot of weight out front past the mounts. Maybe it's an issue, maybe not but it just doesn't look right to me for the mounts to be that close to the center of the motor.

Oscar, check your PMs if you don't mind. Wanted to know about the pads you used for the Corvette mounts. Mine will be much farther back since the MII crossmember is under the crank pulley in my car.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You'll should be OK if you cut one of the A/C mount tabs off of the LM7 bracket. That should solve the problem

The F-body bracket would move the compressor so the belt might not line up with the truck balancer.

Any pictures of the vette mounts?
Old 06-10-2009, 03:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bo185
You'll should be OK if you cut one of the A/C mount tabs off of the LM7 bracket. That should solve the problem

The F-body bracket would move the compressor so the belt might not line up with the truck balancer.

Any pictures of the vette mounts?
I don't have pics of mine, but I have a couple of pics that OscarWill (see above) sent to me of his set up. I don't think he'll mind me posting them.
Attached Thumbnails Ran into a problem with Corvette Mounts and Truck A/C bracket-xmenber1_-small-.jpg   Ran into a problem with Corvette Mounts and Truck A/C bracket-xmember2_-small-.jpg  

Quick Reply: Ran into a problem with Corvette Mounts and Truck A/C bracket