Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Planning a cam install, which is easiest on springs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 09:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Planning a cam install, which is easiest on springs?

I have narrowed my cam choices down to the X1, TR230, and the TSP 231/237. I want to make 400+ HP with full boltons and stock heads, but I dont want to change springs every 5,000 miles. Car is an M6 with 65,000 miles. Has no piston slap or ticks as of now. I looked at the lift numbers for all of them, but I know there is more to spring life than just the lift. Thanks
Old 11-09-2003, 09:50 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i had rev duals with my tr230 and switched to manleys singles with tit. retainer. the lift on the 230 aint that high, i believe thunder recomends 918's.

spring life depends on how well you heat cycle them in the break in period, how much time you spend in the high rpms, ect. basicall how much wear you put on them. the x1 and tsp are close to .600 lift so just buy that nature they'll put more pressure on the springs.

i'd say if you want a high endurance spring you go with some isky golds. spring and tit. retainer will run you about 450. i've yet to here anything bad about iskys. keep in mind though, there is no one spring to end all springs and they do break and spring wear is just something your gonna have to deal with.

and i dont know anyone who has had to change springs after 5k miles.
Old 11-10-2003, 12:15 AM
12 Second Club

I am not concerned with the price of the valvetrain stuff, I want to get the best available so I dont have to worry about it. I dont beat on the car much, maybe 1 WOT run per week. That may change with the new found power though. Will all the cams be about the same for spring life?
Old 11-10-2003, 01:01 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by black_z
I am not concerned with the price of the valvetrain stuff, I want to get the best available so I dont have to worry about it. I dont beat on the car much, maybe 1 WOT run per week. That may change with the new found power though. Will all the cams be about the same for spring life?

ya, the cams will for the most part put the same amount of stress on the springs. you cant go wrong with either of those cams also, they've been proven to make great power.

crane and comps have dual spring setups good for .650 lift, consider those. with the isky's i've been under the impression you have to have your heads machined to fit them but as of late some sponsors have told me that you dont have to and there a direct fit. so who knows , i know there good for over .600 lift because i believe there an option for the new g5x3 cam. if they'll handle that then they'll easily handle yours. might be overkill but should be easier on the springs.
Old 11-10-2003, 06:01 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would suggest a dual spring for more life.As said before there is no magic spring out there.I would replace them atleast every 20k miles or so for a piece of mind.
Old 11-10-2003, 12:54 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks guys, now which one lopes the hardest. Im not too concerned about drivability since my driving is mostly highway.