11 Second Club Snake eyes are a good thing

Crushed 11s Tonight

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 11:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Crushed 11s Tonight

So I went out with the hopes of just getting into the 11s tonight.

Previously I had been having all sorts of problems hitting the revlimiter and missing shifts. Well today I got a shift light which fixed the former and for some reason I jsut could NOT miss a gear all night.

Previous bests were 12.49 at 111 2.2 and then I got slicks and skinnies and a tune from Slowhawk and went 12.21 at 117. Both times it was in the mid 80s to low 90s. DA about +2000

Tonight was very humid but cool, in the mid 60s and almost misty. Everyone thought it was going to rain so I was there with about 20 other people all night.

First Run
Wasnt quick enough with the brakes on the burnout and just did a short rolling burnout. Took it easy but hit all the shifts just kinda easin into it and it was a new personal best, this is when I knew I was prob gonna be able to hit 11s tonight. This was a PB for ET and Trap

Second Run
Got a bit better burnout and I knew once I launched that I'de be in the 1.7 60's and hit all the shifts. Again another PB ET and Trap and 60' And I hit 11s with a tenth to spare!! This run was against an 02 automatic maxima which is basically the same car as my daily driver and the fastest car I had ever driven at the drag strip before finnnishing building this. This gave me real perspective on just how big of a step I've made.

Third Run
I actually spun outta the hole here and didnt think I'de beat the last run, Figured out later the left lane wasnt hooking and on street nights they only prep the right lane for the faster cars. To my surprise I lopped off another tenth. Now I'm just as high on speed as can be. This run was against a 3000GT VR4 which looked highly modified. He treed me and 60' me. He had about a car on me and I pulled back half a car during the run. Ended up losing by 6 thousanths of a second but I didnt care I wasnt even trying to get a good reaction time, more focusing on my 60's. Closest run of my life though.

Fourth Run
When I launched I knew I came out of the hole hardest ever and hit every shift perfect and the car was out of gear before the end of the track. This car may actually go 121/122 if it had another 100rpm. I also lowered the tire pressure to 12psi this run vs 14/15 before.

Fifth Run
Now I have this feeling that I've already accomplished everything I wanted to do and more but now I wanted to see if I could do something very amazing and go 1.6 60's on my third trip to the strip and on my ninth pass ever but I felt like I was getting greedy and didnt want to break anything because I drove there and I needed to drive home.
I line up and do the longest burnout, now knowing the right lane hooked. I tighten up the rear struts a bit and left the tires at 12psi.
The car took off and I knew again I had my best 60's I hit all the rest of the shift. Excited on the return lane, doin a fist pump or too and lettin out a woohoo, thinkin I landed close to 1.6s and 11.50s. I get to the booth and the lady says I guess there was an issue with the timing equipment. Only got 60' which was another PB.

Sixth Run
Launched the car harder this time 12 psi again and this time it hooked hard and actually bogged. Ran an Evo with boltons stock turbo.

Seventh (last run)
Temp had dropped into the 50s and I figured this would help. Went out on the same setup as before and lined up. Launched and the car spun and everything was fine till the 3/4 shift when I shifted I hit the gas and the car went sideways. It felt like the clutch wasnt engaged or something, I hit the gas again and the car stepped out hard and wagged side to side a bit, I had to get out of it at 100+ swaying hard side to side. Still did ok for having to lift. People came up to me afterwards wide eyed saying I was getting squirrely. It felt pretty bad but most of the time it feels worse in the car than it looks. I guess it looked kinda bad too. This run I should actually have a vid of. Will post it up if I do.

All in all I am still way off the potential of the car but now I'm outta tire/gear at the end again, and if I really go too much faster I'm gonna need a roll bar, new harnesses, and a fire jacket, among other things I'm sure.

Thanks to Don (Slowhawk) for making this thing ****** fast. As far as I know this may be one of the quickest stock/ with exhaust ls1 rx7s I know of.

Last edited by sciff5; 06-10-2009 at 11:50 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:01 PM
Launching!

Nice runs man, what were you launching at?
Old 06-11-2009, 02:04 PM
11 Second Club

Like 3000-4000 either spinning or bogging, but mostly spinning. Guys in the stands were saying the car was getting a little sideways out of the hole.

I was slipping the clutch a bit till I felt the weight transfer and then I'de dump it.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome Job Josh... Can't wait to see some 11 second passes next time I am at the track with you and Angie. Put the roll bar in the car while you have it stripped, you're gonna need it a lot sooner than you think!

Some 1.5x short times and you have yourself a low-mid 11 second car!

I can only wish my car weighed 3000lbs with my HP/TQ!!
Old 06-11-2009, 07:42 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Speedy0009
Awesome Job Josh... Can't wait to see some 11 second passes next time I am at the track with you and Angie. Put the roll bar in the car while you have it stripped, you're gonna need it a lot sooner than you think!

Some 1.5x short times and you have yourself a low-mid 11 second car!

I can only wish my car weighed 3000lbs with my HP/TQ!!
I told don he did too god of a job, now I'm outta gear and tire again. And of course he said, we could always cam it.

I am just not sure I wanna throw a cam in it and a rollbar right now. I just spent a grand on tires and a clutch. I need to work on the 60's and hope to skate around the 11.50 mark. I know I can consistently get mid 1.7s out of it now, which is just kinda scratchin the surface for these tires. So I need to get it down into the 1.6s and work on becoming more consistent. I also have a nitrous kit just sitting around.. So I might take a look at doing some spray once I get a bit more consistent around the 11.50 range and then spray it with a 100 shot just to get the 10 sec slip even though I know I'll be booted.

It will get a roll bar at some point and a clutch and spray its just a matter of time.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:35 PM
12 Second Club

Nice job! That thing moves out...
Old 06-14-2009, 06:48 PM
Launching!

cant beat a small foreign car with an ls1! badass car man.

Quick Reply: Crushed 11s Tonight