Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

finally seeing what this gas stuff is all about

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 12:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default finally seeing what this gas stuff is all about

hi everyone...I thought I signed up here a long time ago but I guess not. I was going to use duratothemax as my username (my user name on every other forum, some of you might recognize me from the Diesel Place) but I guess that was taken so I chose this one.

the duramax is my daily driver/tow rig...its pretty fun playing with vette's and porsche's because who expects a 7700lb 4 door pickup truck to be able to get out of its own way.. Its also funny when I see smaller cars that have "turbo" badges on them, I get into it as I pass them and they always do a double take wondering wtf that noise was (if anyone has heard a twin turbo dmax, you can hear them whistling about a mile away)

anyway, my other project is a 1968 VW beetle. I custom built it from the ground up to be an offroad rock crailer/trail vehicle. It has 34" super swamper tires, 4 wheel drive, power steering, hydroboost brakes (2,500lb curb weight, stops on a dime!), chevy 4.3 TBI, TH400, welded rear, etc.. BUT what makes mine different is the engine is actually still in the rear...it basically sits where the rear seat used to be, so its more of a mid engine I guess, but the engine faces backwards.

I could never really get the 4.3 to run right, I thought TBI would be idiot proof, maybe the timing is off???...I can build a complete dmax engine and tune it with my eyes closed, but for the life of me I cant figure out this stupid 20 year old fuel injection technology.

Well I recently found a 4.8 LS series engine out of a 99 silverado with only 120k miles and runs beautifully...couldnt pass it up...no distributer to mess around with, I already have EFILive for the dmax so I can use it with the 4.8 too, MPFI, much more hp than the 4.3, and of course the chevy small block sound...

so thats my current project..wish me luck

ben
Old 06-11-2009, 03:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That beetle is AWESOME!!!