Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 V6 crank bolt removal - ahhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 05:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 V6 crank bolt removal - ahhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, I am going absolutely crazy here!!
I have a 97 V6 3.8L engine. I need to replace the crank position sensor but I can't get the dang bolt out of the crank/balancer. I can't find a way to keep the pulley from spinning. What am I missing here?!?! this thing is seriously pissing me off.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:37 PM
On The Tree

Put the car in gear or if its an auto put it in park. Or if the motor is out of the car i just wedged a ratchet or something between the balancer and the block, but that was on an ls1 but i cant imagine it being much different
Old 06-13-2009, 08:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by skeels
Put the car in gear or if its an auto put it in park. Or if the motor is out of the car i just wedged a ratchet or something between the balancer and the block, but that was on an ls1 but i cant imagine it being much different
Umm...have you ever driven a car with an auto? Putting an auto in park doesn't stop the engine at all.

If it's a stick, put it in 4th and lock the parking brake. If it's an auto, make a tool (don't go wedging something somewhere unless it's the appropriate tool) to stop the flexplate (you might need to remove the starter or converter inspection shield to get to the flexplate, I've never looked at the bottom of a 3800 so I'm not sure).
Old 06-13-2009, 09:17 PM
12 Second Club

It's a 2 person job. Pull the starter, wedge a big screwdriver or crowbar in the teeth of the flexplate. You need to heat the crank bolt up a bit to break it free. I had to use a pipe, on a 2ft breaker bar to get mine out.