Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want a fan for my B&M 24,000 GVW cooler, which one?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 12:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Want a fan for my B&M 24,000 GVW cooler, which one?

Could someone give me a link or a part # or something for a fan that I can put on my B&M cooler w/o any fitment issues? I'd really like to add one for the extra piece of mind in knowing that it won't get too hot, cuz most auto people have it goin thru the radiator with the fans on that and then the cooler, but I swapped from an M6, so I don't have that option, only have it goin through the cooler! Thanks a lot for any help you can give me!!!!
Old 11-10-2003, 07:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The A4 cooler doesn't help too much. If you have it on the radiator/condensor and use a 160 T-stat with matching fan settings you're probably fine.

If you mounted it elsewhere a fan may be a good idea. You might to sell your current unit and buy one with the fan attached. The 24K cooler is only 6" accross so any fan you get will be small (Spal makes a fan that is 5.6" accross (5.9" total size) and the CFM will be around 300. Perma cool makes some fan cooler that are bigger units and flow a lot more CFMs. I'm not sure their GVW rating.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
The A4 cooler doesn't help too much. If you have it on the radiator/condensor and use a 160 T-stat with matching fan settings you're probably fine.

If you mounted it elsewhere a fan may be a good idea. You might to sell your current unit and buy one with the fan attached. The 24K cooler is only 6" accross so any fan you get will be small (Spal makes a fan that is 5.6" accross (5.9" total size) and the CFM will be around 300. Perma cool makes some fan cooler that are bigger units and flow a lot more CFMs. I'm not sure their GVW rating.
It is mounted on radiator/condensor, but I don't have a 160 stat, I have a stock one, but was gonna put a stock 172 stat out of a newer ls1 in and currently have my fans set at, First Stage: (on) - 185 (off) - 180 and
Second Stage: (on) - 190 (off) - 185

Will this be ok, and will it be ok with the 172, or do I need the 160? Also, if I will be ok with the 172, what should I put my fan settings too for it? Thanks for the reply and any help you can give me!
Old 11-11-2003, 12:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd give them a try and see how it works. I think mine are set a little lower, but I have a 160 T-Stat and have them come on early since I run FTRA with the lower plate in place even in the summer.

You should ATAP your temps (if you can) and see what is going on.

Also, I would add a good deep pan before going to a fan cooler that adds to your electrical load. Pans like the TCI have cooling fins and can passively help reduce your temp.
Old 11-11-2003, 10:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
I'd give them a try and see how it works. I think mine are set a little lower, but I have a 160 T-Stat and have them come on early since I run FTRA with the lower plate in place even in the summer.

You should ATAP your temps (if you can) and see what is going on.

Also, I would add a good deep pan before going to a fan cooler that adds to your electrical load. Pans like the TCI have cooling fins and can passively help reduce your temp.

Cool, thanks man! I can't atap the temp since it's not a computer controlled tranny, but I have a temp gauge goin in Friday to keep an eye on them, and I am probably goin to add a deep pan with the fins when I get the fluid and filter changed for the first time. So I guess i'll see how everything is when the temp gauge goes in!