Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bellhousing bolt hole hitting coolant passage?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 09:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bellhousing bolt hole hitting coolant passage?

Hi everyone. I've been lurking for a few months; finally making my first post. This is probably a noob-ish question, but I haven't found much by searching.

My setup is a LS1/T56 pullout from a 42k mile 2001 T/A. The car ran and drove fine before pulling the drivetrain.

Pulled the trans and engine apart this weekend. The bellhousing bolt closest to the bottom of the right (passenger) side head had coolant on it. With a flashlight I can see where the machining for the bolt cut a small hole into an open space in the block. Is this going to be a problem later or is it something I can just put thread sealer on when I reassemble?

Last edited by pete280z; 06-14-2009 at 10:09 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bump.

Now I'm wondering if the void this bolt hits is even a coolant passage. There is some corrosion on the head gaskets and I think I can see a cleaned up trail of coolant coming from the coolant crossover plugs. The engine was cleaned up before I got it so it's hard to say if the plugs were leaking or the head gaskets. Oil is still in the pan and looks fine.

I'm going to change the head gaskets anyway since the engine is on a stand and I may as well do them while it's easy/easier.

Any advice?