Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Pilot bushing bad - should I replace the clutch disc?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 11:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pilot bushing bad - should I replace the clutch disc?

Just like the title says, my car is squealing with clutch pushed in - more often in gear, but sometimes just in neutral. Fits the pilot bushing/bearing symptoms perfectly.

While i'm down there, i'll do the drill mod and also check my clutch disc for material. Is there a threshold amount of clutch material that should be left to not replace the disc? Or any other criteria?

My car is running a stock entire drivetrain, with SLP intake & full exhaust plus tune. I am looking to not spend any money on the drivetrain til I graduate college and will be installing turbos and stuff. The clutch has lasted 105k miles, assuming my clutch was not replaced within the first 60k, when I bought it.

EDIT: I'm also wondering where to purchase a replacement clutch disc from - right now, O'reilly is calling to get a pricing on some special order clutch something, he was pretty vague on if its the disc alone or entire clutch kit. Any sponsors in the area of DFW, Texas able to get their hands on one either?

Last edited by KipMaslonka; 06-19-2009 at 11:02 AM. Reason: added infos
Old 06-19-2009, 11:37 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KipMaslonka
Just like the title says, my car is squealing with clutch pushed in - more often in gear, but sometimes just in neutral. Fits the pilot bushing/bearing symptoms perfectly.

While i'm down there, i'll do the drill mod and also check my clutch disc for material. Is there a threshold amount of clutch material that should be left to not replace the disc? Or any other criteria?

My car is running a stock entire drivetrain, with SLP intake & full exhaust plus tune. I am looking to not spend any money on the drivetrain til I graduate college and will be installing turbos and stuff. The clutch has lasted 105k miles, assuming my clutch was not replaced within the first 60k, when I bought it.

EDIT: I'm also wondering where to purchase a replacement clutch disc from - right now, O'reilly is calling to get a pricing on some special order clutch something, he was pretty vague on if its the disc alone or entire clutch kit. Any sponsors in the area of DFW, Texas able to get their hands on one either?
Well, it is very unlikely that they are gonna be able to get you JUST teh disc. Does look like you are on a budget, but with that many miles on your clutch, it is probaly seen better days. I personally would have a hard time yanking the tranny to replace teh PB, and NOT replace teh clutch while I was there. That is just me though. You can check out my link below as Monster Clutches has a sale going on right now until teh end of July.

Quick Reply: Pilot bushing bad - should I replace the clutch disc?