rear main seal replacement shopt in dfw?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 10:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default rear main seal replacement shopt in dfw?

i have oil leaking out of the bottom of the bell housing ( A4 trans ) and was wondering what shops around dfw have done your right for a repair like this. i have BS'd around with shops before about oil leaks and i would rather have someone who knows what they are looking at under there than someone who is replacing a part as fast as they can to clock the books

i have also heard different statements as to if an a4 is easier or harder to replace than an M6, can anyone clarify?

im also considering doing this myself on jackstands, for a first timer what can i expect for trans removal time, and do i need to adjust anything in the trans after i take it off, or just take it off and put it back on. ive done work on cars before just never with a transmission

thanks for any help or insight you may be able to give

-Ben
Old 06-21-2009, 02:36 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
i have oil leaking out of the bottom of the bell housing ( A4 trans ) and was wondering what shops around dfw have done your right for a repair like this. i have BS'd around with shops before about oil leaks and i would rather have someone who knows what they are looking at under there than someone who is replacing a part as fast as they can to clock the books

i have also heard different statements as to if an a4 is easier or harder to replace than an M6, can anyone clarify?

im also considering doing this myself on jackstands, for a first timer what can i expect for trans removal time, and do i need to adjust anything in the trans after i take it off, or just take it off and put it back on. ive done work on cars before just never with a transmission

thanks for any help or insight you may be able to give

-Ben

IMO an auto is easier that a standard tranny, nothing to adjust. Those seals are doubled lipped and rarely leak so make sure that is engine oil & not something else.

The way the seal has to slip over the crank makes it hard to install without one of those special tools. I just have my wife use hear finger nails & she gets it perfect every time.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:47 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ill do it pm me
Old 06-21-2009, 02:42 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you got mail