Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Anyone running one of these?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 03:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Anyone running one of these?

http://www.snowperformance.net/product.php?pk=76

I get horrible gas mileage. I can almost get 17MPG doing 80mph in 6th but I usually get between 10 and 13mpg in mixed conditions depending on my driving style (short-shifting or not). I hate short-shifting so I usually see 11mpg average. My tune is pretty spot on at 14.7 so I don't know what I could change in my tune to increase it.

I'm getting ready to purchase a methanol kit anyway for performance and its other benefits. I was looking for a kit when I ran across it. I don't know if it has a 'cruise' setting and a 'performance' setting so I might not be able to satisfy both of my needs but if this could increase my mpg by 2-3mpg like it supposedly does on diesel engines then I might give up the extra 25hp for the money I'll save in gas.

Does anyone know if this is safe to run on a performance vehicle? They say to run 87octane with this kit.

Just wanted to see if anyone has it or knows about it. I'm going to call Snow on Monday but non-biased advice is nice to have.

Last edited by SStolen; 06-20-2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:15 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Methanol kits can definitely be used on performance vehicles. Increasing the MPH is a complete load of crap. Also a kit should not be used to compensate for the use of lower grades of fuel.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:38 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can have the car tuned to run a bit leaner at cruise. Something like 16:1 and it wont hurt anything. It may not feel as responsive as you'd like when at 16:1 but it'll use less gas. Also, I've heard of tuners lowering the timing ALOT in the general driveabilty cells in the spark tables. This is usually not neccesary and would hurt fuel economy.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls1290
Also a kit should not be used to compensate for the use of lower grades of fuel.
Agreed.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
You can have the car tuned to run a bit leaner at cruise. Something like 16:1 and it wont hurt anything. It may not feel as responsive as you'd like when at 16:1 but it'll use less gas. Also, I've heard of tuners lowering the timing ALOT in the general driveabilty cells in the spark tables. This is usually not neccesary and would hurt fuel economy.
Thats seems interesting. What kind of increase could I see by running higher AFR? I would think reducing timing would be the main factor in increasing gas mileage. Are there any good threads where I can read about this that you know about? Maybe I can forward them to my tuner.

There was a guy I knew who was suppossed to be really good at tuning, although I heard VERY mixed reviews. I remember riding in his car and seeing his AFR at 17.0-17.5 at idle. It was an auto with a decent stall. It seemed to run fine. Would that be okay on a manual car? If so, would I see any increase in gas mileage and if so, why doesn't everyone have a leaner AFR at idle? Is it because take off would be pretty unresponsive? I'm thinking thats where his converter and the automatic made up for it. Overall, would you recommend it?