Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have a TCI 3800?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2003, 06:47 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anyone have a TCI 3800?

Any of you have a TCI 3800? How do you like it? What kind of improvements did you see at the track?

I just got mine in and my initial reaction is that it is a bit much for a daily driver. It takes 2000 to 2500 RPM to get it rolling from a light when trying to leave easy in stop and go traffic. My around town gas mileage went way down as well.

I told the dealer I got it from that it was my daily driver, and they still recommended the 3800 over the 3500. I think I may have made a mistake and I may have to change it out. Everyone around here is telling me to wait a little while, and I will get used to it, but I don't know.

I'm gonna take it to the track this weekend - maybe an 11 sec timeslip will make up for the gas receipts!
Old 11-11-2003, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you will used to it. My mileage dropped about 2mi to the gallon. I have the loudmouth exaust so its louder at 2k to 2.5 on a takeoff. But its a whole different beast when you lay into it.
Old 11-11-2003, 09:35 PM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

I have a 4200 and wish I'd gone to 4400. I drive my car everyday and love it.
Old 11-12-2003, 01:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep it. In 6 months time you'll find yourself toying with the idea of going to a 4000+. Seriously, you'll get used to it in no time. You might consider raising your part throttle shift points (I raised mine 15% below 50% throttle and I love it) and adjusting your converter lockup points. These things when tweaked a bit can make a converter alot more livable on the street.
Old 11-12-2003, 04:13 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Colonel
Keep it. In 6 months time you'll find yourself toying with the idea of going to a 4000+. Seriously, you'll get used to it in no time. You might consider raising your part throttle shift points (I raised mine 15% below 50% throttle and I love it) and adjusting your converter lockup points. These things when tweaked a bit can make a converter alot more livable on the street.
You are exactly right - once we changed the PCM for the 3.73 gears (we didn't have time to get that done because I did the tranny/converter so soon after the rear), things got much better and I think there is room for more tweaking.

Before it was going into 2nd almost instantly and that coupled with the stall was really bad. We scaled everything for the 3.73's and even raised the 1st gear point a little more and it was night and day!

Colonel, what gears do you have? Could you provide any help on the various tables to change for the shiftpoints and TCC lockup? And what MPH/RPM are you using? I think we are on the right track, but any help would be appreciated.

There doesn't seem to be any good source for info on this. I wish there was a table that would tell you what MPH to use to get a desired RPM with a given gear ratio, etc!