Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Chain and Clearances

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 02:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Chain and Clearances

Hey I have a 01 ls1 motor out of a Trans Am. I am wanting to purchase a double roller and my setup consist of a texas speed V2 torquer with upgrade valve springs etc... I also have a ported and blueprinted ls6 oil pump. What brand double roller would you guys recomend and not having to run into any clearance issues etc...

Also, btw where is a good place to get stock head bolts, stock MLS headgaskets etc..

Thanks Mark Tisdale
Old 06-22-2009, 02:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a rollmaster double that didn't have any clearance problems. When I built my engine I put the timing cover on and rolled the engine over by hand (with the plugs out) 20-30 times as fast as I could and then removed the timing cover to see if it was rubbing on the cover, no problem. I got the rollmaster from texas speed and they will have the gaskets and bolts you need too.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by conan
I have a rollmaster double that didn't have any clearance problems. When I built my engine I put the timing cover on and rolled the engine over by hand (with the plugs out) 20-30 times as fast as I could and then removed the timing cover to see if it was rubbing on the cover, no problem. I got the rollmaster from texas speed and they will have the gaskets and bolts you need too.

Thankyou Conan, anyone else
Old 06-22-2009, 03:11 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why a double roller?
Old 06-22-2009, 09:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by John@Scoggin
why a double roller?
I have always on my sbc, I figure why not I don't mind spending alittle over $100 as assposed to using a cheap single ls2
Old 06-23-2009, 09:39 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im not sure if I would call the LS2 cheap, maybe inexpensive but NOT cheap, there is a difference. but you can also spring for the Katech C5R single chain or the Cloyes IRL chain, still spend money like you want, and not have to worry about grinding, shimming, clearancing, and other problems.....the cloyes chain also comes with the hex adjust, so you dont have to pull everything back off (esp if you use the 2 piece timing cover) to degree the cam or change the timing.

BUT to each their own.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:27 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You should have no problems or need to clearance the pump with the Rollmaster or N-Motion double chain sets. That's one of the advantages a ported LS6 pump has over the aftermarket pumps like Melling...it retains factory clearance and doesn't need to be milled on the backside to clear. Just run the shims that come with the timing set and you'll be good to go!

We've got all the bolts, gaskets, etc you could need for the swap at competitive pricing! Let us know if we can help!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 06-23-2009, 10:28 AM
12 Second Club

Received 444 Likes on 355 Posts

I spun a bearing because I installed a double roller timing chain in my car. I got it for $50 new so I figured I had no reason not to use it, but it turned out to cause more problems than it was worth. Spacing out the oil pump causes the pickup tube to fit incorrectly and causes this:

If I could do it over, I would have never installed it. I'm doing a rebuild now because of it.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:31 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1Formulation
I spun a bearing because I installed a double roller timing chain in my car. I got it for $50 new so I figured I had no reason not to use it, but it turned out to cause more problems than it was worth. Spacing out the oil pump causes the pickup tube to fit incorrectly and causes this:

If I could do it over, I would have never installed it. I'm doing a rebuild now because of it.
Don't you think that's kind of a false statement...saying the bearing spun because of the chain? In reality, the bearing spun because it was starved of oil. It was starved of oil because the o-ring was mis-installed. The timing set did its job, right? It wasn't the chain's fault at all, really.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 06-23-2009, 10:46 AM
12 Second Club

Received 444 Likes on 355 Posts

No, but the spacers on the oil pump were what caused the misalignment with the oil pump pickup tube. If I had not installed the timing chain, the misalignment would never have occurred. I guess I should say - do NOT install a double roller timing chain IN the car unless you're going to drop the pan and elongate the pickup tube mounting holes. I know the chain wasn't the direct cause, the installation technique was. The double roller is going back in the engine, but WITH the needed mods to make it work.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When I built my engine I did not do any thing to the pick up tube, engine makes 60 psi of oil pressure at idle. I had to pull the engine after about 1,000 miles for another issue and when I removed the pick up tube my O ring was fine, I even reused it.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:38 PM
Teching In

Default oil pump

jon at texas speed is right about using an aftermarket pump and a double roller timing chain.i used a melling high volume pump and cloyes double roller chain. took me several hours of grinding on the font of the oil pump and the front cover to make the front cover fit
Old 06-26-2009, 12:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well guys I got the c5r chain to insure being tough and not worry about clearances and grinding... The chain is over priced. I hate to say it but everything from Katech is overpriced.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:46 PM
TECH Regular

So does the spacing out of the oil pump cause any issues when installing the damper pulley?
Old 06-27-2009, 02:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just thought of this, I am runing the single roller now instead of going double and I am wondering if I will have trouble runing the front distributor cover from GMPP. I have never seen people runing a single when using that cover and I think the spacing will be off for the gear to turn the distributor.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done quite a few of the double chain installs and found the only way to get the pickup tube into the input port of the pump is to pull the guts out of the pump. I found this out through trial and error and a lot of useless foul language. This method gives you the wriggle room you need to get the tube up into the pump WITHOUT damaging the "O" ring. I then put the shims in place and put the pump back together. Without taking the pump apart I wasn't able to find enough curse words in the English language to get the tube to go up into the pump input port when using a double row chain. The double Rollmaster w/Torrington bearing is a good timing set, but if TSP and SDPC have high quality upgrades at a reasonable price I think I for one will be skipping all the extra work required to install a double row chain in the future.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:45 PM
Restricted User

damn i am having an oil pressure problem ever since my cam swap! I bet i have the same problem as ls1formulation!!!!

Timing cover is coming off this weekend!

Quick Reply: Timing Chain and Clearances