Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soon to be SS owner. Got a few technical questions. Please Help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 12:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Soon to be SS owner. Got a few technical questions. Please Help.

Ok I am about to purchase a 2000 SS, white, hardtop, 6speed, cloth interior, bone stock. EXCELLENT shape car! With only like 42K miles for about $8,000.
My question is, the guy is an older man. He drives the car once a week. NEVER really gets on it, and runs 87 octane. He just does this because he says he doesnt feel it necessary because he drives it so conservatively. I plan on getting the car in the next week or so and start running premium in it, due to the fact that I know I'm going to obviously have a heavier foot than him. And plan to fairly quickly do lid, intake, exhaust, radials, and eventually a small shot (100),ya know, the works. Just to make a fun little daily driver. Just give me you guys' opinion on what to do. Also, i know i have to get the skipshift eliminator first, but are there any other "free" mods i can do early on?? I really appreciate any input. I am extatic about getting it. Die hard ls1 fan, just never been able to get one. Goin from a 2000 mazda protoge, grocery getter, NOTHING like a ricer or anything. Just your average car. Thanks guyS!
Old 06-25-2009, 12:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

OH yea!! My question about the gas issue, is it ok to immediately switch to 93 octane, and drive it somewhat hard? Just didnt know if it needed to do some "breaking in" before I do. Again, Thanks Guys for any input.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't buy a skipshift eliminator - you can do it yourself with a resistor. I'd put premium in it and drive how you want. A heavy foot will also keep the skipshift from activating.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt it has hurt it any to run 87 with an old dude driving it. The computer adjusts for lower octane levels I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I would unplug the battery so the computer resets and start with 93.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
Don't buy a skipshift eliminator - you can do it yourself with a resistor. I'd put premium in it and drive how you want. A heavy foot will also keep the skipshift from activating.
Oh so if I'm off in it, it wont do the skipshift? It just gets old driving around having to fool with it..You said a "resistor"? Can you elaborate on that please? haha.. Sorry, hate that im sounding like a NOOB.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Arc00TA
I doubt it has hurt it any to run 87 with an old dude driving it. The computer adjusts for lower octane levels I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I would unplug the battery so the computer resets and start with 93.
Ok cool. Ill do that as soon as I get it I guess.. And update you guys with some pictures of my first F-body! Hey, any free mods I should know about? AnD, do the 2000 cars have EGR?
Old 06-25-2009, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on your first LS1...im on my first one as well...in sig.

Only had it about 3 months.

I would say its perfectly fine to start running 93 in it. After a few times of running it harder than its used to, the computer will pick up on that and adjust accordingly.

Thats a good price and good miles, congrats man !
Old 06-25-2009, 01:11 PM
Launching!

Got my 2000 SS a little over a month ago, and love it. First things I did were to have it tuned (to eliminate egr, air, and rear O2's), Shift kit(a4), 160 stat, this last weekend I put on Pacesetters LT's and a TSP ORY, and have a magnaflow catback coming. There is a ton of free mods to do, just search them.

Yes you do have EGR and AIR.

Sounds like you got a really good deal
Old 06-25-2009, 01:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ACLR8R
Got my 2000 SS a little over a month ago, and love it. First things I did were to have it tuned (to eliminate egr, air, and rear O2's), Shift kit(a4), 160 stat, this last weekend I put on Pacesetters LT's and a TSP ORY, and have a magnaflow catback coming. There is a ton of free mods to do, just search them.

Yes you do have EGR and AIR.

Sounds like you got a really good deal

Man I tell ya, I got a steal! Only reason the guy is selling it is bc he doesnt exactly have the biggest passion in the world for the car, and he'd only sell it to me, and just becuase I yacked his ear all about cars and this and that, and he knew it was going to a real car guy home that wasnt gona treat it like "just some car". Like I said, the car is NOT mine yet, im actually waiting on the final approval for some $moola$ right now, but it IS a 99% go deal. Cant wait to show you guys pics. Thanks for all the help.

Any exhaust recommendations? I want something that is not extremely poppy, doesnt drone too bad, but has that kinda higher pitched raspy sound to it. Maybe that sounds crazy but I kinda like it.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by a.white86
You said a "resistor"? Can you elaborate on that please?
Go to installuniversity.com and look under !CAGS - Haven't been there for a while, but used show both methods and how to do them - and had detailed pictures/instructions.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:29 PM
Teching In

Ok I am about to purchase a 2000 SS, white, hardtop, 6speed, cloth interior, bone stock. EXCELLENT shape car! With only like 42K miles for about $8,000.
My question is, the guy is an older man. He drives the car once a week. NEVER really gets on it, and runs 87 octane. He just does this because he says he doesnt feel it necessary because he drives it so conservatively. I plan on getting the car in the next week or so and start running premium in it, due to the fact that I know I'm going to obviously have a heavier foot than him. And plan to fairly quickly do lid, intake, exhaust, radials, and eventually a small shot (100),ya know, the works. Just to make a fun little daily driver. Just give me you guys' opinion on what to do. Also, i know i have to get the skipshift eliminator first, but are there any other "free" mods i can do early on?? I really appreciate any input. I am extatic about getting it. Die hard ls1 fan, just never been able to get one. Goin from a 2000 mazda protoge, grocery getter, NOTHING like a ricer or anything. Just your average car. Thanks guyS!
wow 8g's thats a sweet deal especially at such low miles! i just installed a slp lid (literally 10 minutes ago) on my 98 z28 and that thing sounds sick when i rev it in the garage! it was only like 92 bucks shipped brand new. can't wait to take a test drive.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:24 PM
Launching!

Man I tell ya, I got a steal! Only reason the guy is selling it is bc he doesnt exactly have the biggest passion in the world for the car, and he'd only sell it to me, and just becuase I yacked his ear all about cars and this and that, and he knew it was going to a real car guy home that wasnt gona treat it like "just some car". Like I said, the car is NOT mine yet, im actually waiting on the final approval for some $moola$ right now, but it IS a 99% go deal. Cant wait to show you guys pics. Thanks for all the help.

Any exhaust recommendations? I want something that is not extremely poppy, doesnt drone too bad, but has that kinda higher pitched raspy sound to it. Maybe that sounds crazy but I kinda like it.

It all depends on what you want to spend. Under $400 magnaflow, hooker or SLP, $400-$1000 borla, B&B,... $1000+ Corsa.

I went with Magnaflow even though I hate the tips, because its stainless and I love the sound.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DoingBadThingsIsFun
wow 8g's thats a sweet deal especially at such low miles! i just installed a slp lid (literally 10 minutes ago) on my 98 z28 and that thing sounds sick when i rev it in the garage! it was only like 92 bucks shipped brand new. can't wait to take a test drive.
Really now!? Thats pretty cool then.. Didnt think it would really make that much noise. lol. But yea I was thinking of going Magnaflow exhaust. Couldnt I just order another set of tips? I really like the Borla tips. Could I just buy them outright, just the tips?
Old 06-27-2009, 09:12 PM
Teching In

Really now!? Thats pretty cool then.. Didnt think it would really make that much noise. lol. But yea I was thinking of going Magnaflow exhaust. Couldnt I just order another set of tips? I really like the Borla tips. Could I just buy them outright, just the tips?
wait after test driving after install its not really noticeable