General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Strange stalling/dying problem...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 07:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Strange stalling/dying problem...

So I just sold my car which has been dead reliable for me since last year and the new owner is having some problems the day he got it home which makes me feel like an ***..

Apparently the car is having a hard time holding idle, stalls and studders at take off, and overall is running pretty unhealthy...

I told him to check the vaccuum lines, check the grounds, and try running it cold to see if its an o2 sensor issue when it goes into closed loop.

Can anyone else add to this list of potential things to check? The car never gave me a problem and now that he has it its acting up.

Any input would be greatly appriciated, he's new to the LS1 cars but seems knowledgeable about them in general.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:07 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's pretty odd for a car to break because you sold it. It is not uncommon for new owners to do something wrong. Did he buy shi++y gas?
Old 06-26-2009, 09:23 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 91RS383
It's pretty odd for a car to break because you sold it. It is not uncommon for new owners to do something wrong. Did he buy shi++y gas?
That would be my first thought. If you were putting super in it from a good gas station the entire time you had it then he goes and puts regular from a crappy place that could cause all those problems.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was nice and filled it up for him before I sold it... Its running 93octane BP gas like I always ran without an issue...

He said the intake manifold bolts were loose so he tightened them back down, I figured this would've caused a major vac leak and been causing the issue...

However he tightened them and its still doing it so he scanned it and its throwing a code for TPS and map sensor and a vaccuum leak code?

Any ideas????
Old 06-26-2009, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

just a thought here....mine would stutter really bad, and almost die out....temp gauge would go crazy as well.....so anyway, have him check the temp sensor that is on the drivers side head....$10 from autozone.....never know...
Old 06-26-2009, 08:31 PM
Teching In

Hi, I am the new owner. I have not put any gas in the car yet. I cleaned the MAF and IAC with the correct cleaner. I noticed that the intake bolts were loose so I got the torque specs and sequence and re-did them. This helped for awhile. Then it started running alittle rough again. Codes for MAP and TPS. Any ideas? The plugs look fine also. Thanks