Sponsored by:

making_4l60e_transmission_fit in an A-Body

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 03:29 PM
RYU
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default making_4l60e_transmission_fit in an A-Body

I found this picture in a Carcraft article about a LS1 swap into a 64-67 A-Body. It's actually one of the better articles i've read about this swap.

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the template he's using for the trans tunnel? That's exactly what I need! They said it's part of a kit from Keisler.

In any event, it's a great reference for me even w/o the template.

Looks like there's about 5 points to hammer out about 1/2-3/4" in depth.

Article is located here.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:57 PM
TECH Resident

Well I will say every swap is different, but I used a 700r4(same externally as a 4L60e) on my 67 Chevelle and didn't have to do any major massaging at all. In fact the tightest spot was higher up than that template reaches and my pass side head is about 1/2" off the firewall.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:07 PM
RYU
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by pist0lpete
Well I will say every swap is different, but I used a 700r4(same externally as a 4L60e) on my 67 Chevelle and didn't have to do any major massaging at all. In fact the tightest spot was higher up than that template reaches and my pass side head is about 1/2" off the firewall.
Interestingly enough I was thinking about your swap when looking at this picture. I'm basically using your same first gen BRP mounts which I believe sets the motor back farthest among the many adapters available out there. If the motor is set back pretty far (maybe farther than this pic and so that the stock F-Body oil pan can clear the x-member) then I would assume that the bell housing would have to be pushed back farther into the tunnel > which would require more than 1/2-3/4" worth of adjustment. If you're saying that's not the case then my confidence is renewed!

I guess you never really know until you get into it. I plan to pull out the existing SBC this Sunday afternoon and the bulk of the work during the 4th of July wknd.

This is sorta off topic (funny cuz it's my own post) but did you end up raising your motor a little bit to clear the x'member? I remember you were test fitting with washers to raise up the engine.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:52 PM
On The Tree

I had a 700R4 in my 71 Monte Carlo behind a SBC with no floor massaging at all. It was tight at the governor cover and to make a wieght change I had to dipple the floor or drop the crossmember slightly.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:54 PM
TECH Resident

I should go ahead and say that I can speculate that the tranny shop that orignally put the 700r4 in(behind the old 350) may have massaged the tunnel a bit but if they did I couldn't see it and it must not have been much. My best advice would be to bolt the tranny to the motor, put it in and see where you are at. Stabbing the motor will be the trickiest part get the frontend high in the air and and have a hand down below guiding the tranny. I have run into alot of people lately who don't seem to be able to get the F-body pan to fit. Maybe their cars are different but I can't help but think at least a few of them might have been able to do it with a bit more persistence and creativity. As far as raising the motor up I believe i ended up with 3 washers or 1/8-3/16" extra shimming. Mainly i was trying the clear the steering box at the alternator. Its tight but no problems yet in about 10k miles. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Quick Reply: making_4l60e_transmission_fit in an A-Body