Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

How can I tell if I need to replace the tailshaft bushing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 07:36 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question How can I tell if I need to replace the tailshaft bushing?

I ran a driveshaft that was too short for about 2000 miles. I would get pretty intense vibrations above 60 mph that resonated throughout the car. I also found transmission fluid splattered on the floor pan. It's not quite as bad as the pictures in this thread, but it's close. I did the measurements from the tailshaft to the pinion, and the driveshaft was about an inch too short. I also found a good amount of wiggle room / play in the yoke even when the driveshaft was installed.

I put the correct length driveshaft in, and the vibrations in the 70 mph range are GREATLY reduced, but I can still feel a little bit of vibration around 75-80 mph. It also appears that there's still some transmission fluid leaking out.

I bought an AutoZone bushing + seal replacement kit. It sounds like it's pretty simple to replace the seal, but it sounds like the bushing is a bit more involved. I have some questions:
  1. What are the symptoms of a BAD bushing? Vibration? Fluid leakage?
  2. If it turns out that I need a new bushing, is an AutoZone bushing acceptable? Do the no-walk aftermarket bushings have any significant advantage over a parts store bushing?
  3. Do I have to sand, hone, or otherwise prep the bushing other than pressing it in place?

Thanks!
Old 06-28-2009, 08:53 AM
Banned

The T56 tailhousing bushing is a little different size than your standard TH350 tailhousing bushing. It can be used but needs to be put on a lathe and some of the material needs to be removed.

As far as removing the old one and reinstalling the new one, I would suggest either borrowing the correct tool for this or having someone that has the proper tools install it for you.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:35 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by trax

1. What are the symptoms of a BAD bushing? Vibration? Fluid leakage?

Thanks!
Yes and Yes and wiggle room in yoke
Old 06-28-2009, 06:13 PM
Launching!

Does anyone know what the correct clearance is for the bushing? Is it just a "feel" thing, or should it be so many thousandths larger than the diameter of the driveshaft yoke?
Old 06-29-2009, 01:55 PM
Banned

I'm sure there are clearance specs listed but I usually go by feel. If its leaking from the rear of the tailhousing, chances are it needs to be replaced.

Quick Reply: How can I tell if I need to replace the tailshaft bushing?