General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Lack of Power..

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 02:19 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Lack of Power..

hey guys, I bought a 99 TA over the winter and when I first bought the car it seemed to have loads of power and would very easily break the tires loose from 20-25 mph. Now 6 months later the car can not do it from a roll, but seems as if the car might have a slight hesitation. The car does need plug wires but I have already replaced all the plugs less then 1k miles ago but the car does have a misfire when under load in a high gear. The car has been properly maintained with all fluids being changed since I have gotten it. And the engine does not make any odd noises and has 133k miles on it, its a manual trans if that matters. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,
Alex
Old 06-28-2009, 04:47 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The tires brake free easier when they are cold.

Do you have a K&N filter? If so, did you happen to clean it when you got the car?
Old 06-28-2009, 06:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my truck has the same problem.. im in on this too. and yea i have the k&n fipk. where you headed with this? lol
Old 06-28-2009, 11:32 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

There is a great debate about the oil on K&N filters. GM says that they shed oil on to the MAF (which it can't burn off) and end up fouling the sensor. K&N says that GM has faulty sensors that leak silicone on to the wires.

In my case, I definitely had an oil shedding problem. I cleaned my MAF, went back to paper, and life has been great ever since. A lot of people will over-oil their K&N filters, leading more quickly to the issue.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:49 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do have a K&N filter and did clean it probably about about a month or so after I got the car.. So maybe that is my problem. I'll try cleaning the MAF today, and see if that helps.