Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

In a Pickle

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 03:45 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default In a Pickle

Well guys, I need some advice. I bought a Polluter camshaft from tick a couple weeks back and really got to thinking. This cam is going to be way too big to run for my application. I still have the stock 3.42 gears. I have LG longtubes with Borla stinger catback, Vararam, and a tune that put down 387whp on my 01 Z06. So, I am going to send the cam package back to Tick and get a custom cam ground from Comp. What I need from you guys is some advice. I was thinking around a 228/232 with 580ish lift. I was looking at Patriots 2.5 LS6 heads. I have plenty of money to spend but I dont want to spend it all on this project. Should I go ahead and get the heads along with the cam? This is practically a daily driver but I do not mind the loudness at all. I am NOT switching gears either. I am a little concerned with that clutch if I put heads on it too, will the added power kill the clutch Also, the gas mileage. What do you guys recommend? Heads with cam, or just cam? Open to any suggestions. Thanks
Old 06-30-2009, 10:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I were you I would go ahead and put a clutch in the car now and get it broken in. Reasoning is, because wether you go cam only or heads and cam you are gonna need a clutch eventually. My clutch lasted about 300 miles with my cam and bam, it was right back in the shop for the clutch. Do a clutch that will hold 600 or so and a cam that will work nicely with heads in the future. If you are anything like me, you know that a cam only car making 420 will be fun for a while, but you are gonna want to do heads later because you will want 450-470.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:36 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Patrick G spec'd a cam for a member on Corvetteforum who has a Zo6

It was 226/231 .598-.560 113+4LSA

It had the comments of having a very strong midrange and it's perfect with heads too. If the compression ratio is increased (milled, smaller chambers) you can get away with a bit more duration in the 228/230 intake range while keeping throttle response crisp.

Honestly, I'd buy a used supercharger for $3500 that are a dime a dozen now a days (especially in corvetteforum's classifieds)

Screw a heads/cam.

Either do a large cubic inch motor or boost it.... figure on a clutch either way.