General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Still having a headlight not popping up during auto-on!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Still having a headlight not popping up during auto-on!

I think I've nailed my problem with regards to this problem. Basically I've noticed that the pass. side head light doesn't seem to go all the way down. About a quarter inch up higher than the driver's side when turned off and closed. My problem is that when the car is in low light levels and the headlights turn on (auto on -Canadian car has this feature but not sure about US cars) only ONE comes up (drivers side), but not the other (pass. side). They are both illuminated and turned on but the pass. side just wont pop up. If I turn the car off, and then turn them on manually they BOTH pop up. I think maybe what's happening is that the pass. side one is not closing all the way and therefore the computer thinks it's still open, therefore it doesn't open it up during auto-on. Is there a way to adjust these head light covers (I'm sure I heard that there is a way) so that they both close ALL the way shut when turned off. I have a sneaking suspicion that this will FIX my problem. It's such an easily avoidable problem by simply turning them on manually, it's more of a quirk really. But I like to have ALL my options working the way they are supposed to. Any ideas and methods of adjusting these? Also will I have to re align my headlights after? Not likely right?

Thanks a million guys.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

ttt X100 lol
Old 07-02-2009, 01:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't remember my old car (2000 WS6) having an auto on feature that makes the headlights pop up themselves.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99monguse
I don't remember my old car (2000 WS6) having an auto on feature that makes the headlights pop up themselves.
Well the US versions did not have the light sensor on the dash to detect low light. I believe these cars were built in Canada.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:36 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Did you check to see if your little "white" plastic cap was still there. The cap is inside where the light mechanisms are, its where the control arm bangs into when the light goes all the way up and then down. If that thing is worn, gone or cracked it'll mess with the headlights and make them go too far up or down.

And yes, they can be adjusted with the spinners on each light. You can crank them up and down however you want.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Perfect thanks. I need some sort of hex tool to adjust those spinners though don't I? Also I have in fact heard of this plastic piece you speak of but have yet to find where it is that people are referring to? Thanks again. Tires are not balanced yet either so that could be the problem lol jk.