Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Relcation wiring questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Battery Relocation wiring questions

I'm relocating my battery to the rear to make room for my fuel cell up front and was wanting to clean up the wiring up front while i was at it by redoing the wires going to the alternator and starter.

I drew up some diagrams showing the stock configuration and how I was thinking about redoing it. Does anyone see any problems with this setup, or is it all good?

I'll be running 1-gauge wire from the battery to the front, and then was gonna run 8 (at least that's what the existing wires looked to be already) to the alternator and starter.

Red is positive, black is negative.
Attached Thumbnails Battery Relcation wiring questions-battery-relocate.jpg  

Last edited by xaon; 11-13-2003 at 04:55 PM.
Old 11-13-2003, 01:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

run the 1-gauge wire from the power post in the front through the battery switch to the battery. run a 4-gauge wire from the alternator to the battery side of the switch(allows total shutdown of car when switch is turned or pushed off). run a 4-8 gauge wire from the power post to the starter. if you have a lot of power accessories ie. stereo.....run a 0 gauge or 1 awg power wire and 2 gauge alternator wire. just to be on the safe side
Old 11-13-2003, 02:44 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you are going to use a disconnect switch this isn't going to work exactly right. You need to put the +12v from the alternator and from the battery to one post. Then run another set of wires from the disconnect side to the fuse box and starter. If you are not running a disconnect then it will work fine.
Old 11-13-2003, 02:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a good link.

I have not done this yet, but it is my next project.
Old 11-13-2003, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was planning on running a disconnect switch, I just hadn't thrown it into that diagram.

I was going to put the disconnect switch between the main wire running from the battery to the fuse box post, and then a 250 amp shutdown solenoid in between the alternator and the fuse panel box.

Although, the suggestion of running the wire from the alternator to the battery side of the disconnect switch in the rear sounds like a good way to save the cost of the $70 high-amp shutdown kit and keep it out from under the hood.

Thanks alot guys!