Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Strange Dana S60 axle leak, need help quick

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Dana S60 axle leak, need help quick

Strange Dana S60.... bought new last year, barely a year old, no more than 4000 miles on the rearend.

I noticed fluid leaking on my passenger rear wheel. I pulled the wheel hoping it was just the brake caliper (easy fix/replacement). However its not the caliper.

Issue:
-The backing plate/ c-clip eliminator bracket and caliper felt loose and could wiggle around.
-I looked and noticed, the four bolts/nuts that hold the backing plate/ c-clip eliminator bracket to the axle housing are loose. 3 of the 4 nuts started to back off.

so here is my question....

1-should I be worried that any bearings could be ruined/premature wear?
2-could just -re tightening these bolts stop if from leaking or does the seal need to be replaced?

This is not a knock against Strange. Strange Engineering makes great products, for some reason the nuts backed off...
Attached Thumbnails Strange Dana S60 axle leak, need help quick-strange-s60-dana.jpg   Strange Dana S60 axle leak, need help quick-strange-s60-dana-leak.jpg  

Last edited by ibanez7; 07-04-2009 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 608 Likes on 481 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I would try tightening the bolts and see if that cures the problem. I doubt your bearing is screwed up, but the seal might be.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

i just did exactly that... drove about a mile.. its not leaking yet.. I'm hoping the seal is good.

I cleaned everything up, inspected the seals everything looks ok

a friend of mine, recommended using Great Stuff on the eliminator... I might do that to both sides tomorrow...

Last edited by ibanez7; 07-03-2009 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:49 AM
Teching In

no ****... mine did this today! same side even. passenger side.. i don't know that the backing plate is loose. but it dumped a whole lot of fluid in my driveway... i'll find out tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Strange Dana S60 axle leak, need help quick