Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

rear tire fitment and tread wear question

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 06:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear tire fitment and tread wear question

I currently have 275s on my rear C5 Z06s...10.5" wide 18" diameter with a 56 mm offset I believe. What is the widest tire I could use without having rubbing issues? I do not mind doing some banging or cutting but this is my daily driver so I need something that won't constantly be rubbing. I have heard of spacers but some people tell me that's a bad idea.

And another question I have... I got my rims and tires sometime around last July and I had to replace my front tires about two months ago...yet I'm still on my same set of rears with room to go. The part that was wearing was the outside, it was worn down so bad that you could see the metal wire. My alignment is fine because when I let go of the wheel it doesn't pull to either direction. What would cause the front to wear so much faster than the rear? Tires are 245s on a 17" x 9.5" wheel.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ncfastls1
I currently have 275s on my rear C5 Z06s...10.5" wide 18" diameter with a 56 mm offset I believe. What is the widest tire I could use without having rubbing issues? I do not mind doing some banging or cutting but this is my daily driver so I need something that won't constantly be rubbing. I have heard of spacers but some people tell me that's a bad idea.

And another question I have... I got my rims and tires sometime around last July and I had to replace my front tires about two months ago...yet I'm still on my same set of rears with room to go. The part that was wearing was the outside, it was worn down so bad that you could see the metal wire. My alignment is fine because when I let go of the wheel it doesn't pull to either direction. What would cause the front to wear so much faster than the rear? Tires are 245s on a 17" x 9.5" wheel.
every f body is different. you can fit a 315 back there, it might rub, it might not. and your alignment IS off if you went through tires that fast. also try running a 275 up front, so its properly spaced on the rim, rather than stretching a 245
Old 07-06-2009, 08:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

295's fit those wheels, and would only require a tad of BFH on the inner wheel well.

I ran that setup for a few years.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks. Would LCA relocation brackets give me any more clearance? I would love to be able to run 305s...
Old 07-06-2009, 01:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Exclamation

No more clearance with the LCA's, they move the bar up and down, not in and out . . . . .

As for the front tire wear in your original post, you need and alignment. The tires appear to be rolling ina a straight line, but they are not verticle, IE the top of the tire is leaning outwards, thus the outside edge wears faster . . . either that or you go round corners very fast . . .
Old 07-06-2009, 02:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Also, it's very possible that with your current alignment tires are toed in too much.

Is the wear like this, feathered?

http://www.procarcare.com/images/sha...ia/8852oc3.gif
Old 07-06-2009, 02:43 PM
11 Second Club

I run 315/30's in back of my daily driver with the same wheel, and mine is lowered a good bit. You'll probably need adjustable lca's to move the axle back a smidge, and you'll need to use a little BFH on the inner well, roll the lip a little, and you should be good. The key for me was the adjustable LCA's.

Quick Reply: rear tire fitment and tread wear question