Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Odd request: Is there anyway to make the ride softer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 11:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Odd request: Is there anyway to make the ride softer?

Question is in the title. Is there anyway to make the ride quality.. softer? I use my car on many long trips and the roads sometimes aren't the best, so for those trips I was thinking about getting adjustable shocks so that I can make them softer for driving around and adjust them for the track.

Any other ideas?
Old 07-06-2009, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

what might be easier and cheaper would be to lower your tire pressure and possibly get a taller sidewall on your tire.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KILLER-LS1
what might be easier and cheaper would be to lower your tire pressure and possibly get a taller sidewall on your tire.
Cheaper until you have to replace tires because they are going to wear improperly. If you are on stock shocks, quality dampers are going to be the best solution.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:21 AM
TECH Regular

Yes! Pick up a set of KYB GR2 shocks. I threw a pair in the back of my car because I do a lot of highway driving and commuting. It makes the car a little "floatier" and absorbs the bumps, but still handles great. The KYB's are decent quality yet inexpensive. I haven't tried the front shocks, but if they're anything like the rears, they'll be softer.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:48 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Stock shocks cause the car to be very harsh over the sharp bumps, and that only gets worse with age.

The GR2's are better because they are new, but then again the tradeoff is less control-- the floatiness that Rhedalert speaks of, and that's not acceptable either in anything beyond Grandma's Cadillac, and not even then.

Bottom line, you don't need adjustable shocks to improve the ride, you need better shocks. Adjustables give you more room to move, but generally only to the firmer side. This is a situation where I'd recommend a set of $359/set Tokico shocks. The cost isn't super high, the damping is better then GR2's....

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=20&ModelID=7
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 07-06-2009, 10:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironxcross
Any other ideas?
What is on the car now? If it's all stock stuff, how old is it?

If I were to speculate, I bet you are bottoming out on the bump stops due to worn out shocks.

I'm still sold on off the shelf Bilsteins. They are on every street vehicle I own.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:09 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Stock shocks cause the car to be very harsh over the sharp bumps, and that only gets worse with age.

The GR2's are better because they are new, but then again the tradeoff is less control-- the floatiness that Rhedalert speaks of, and that's not acceptable either in anything beyond Grandma's Cadillac, and not even then.

Bottom line, you don't need adjustable shocks to improve the ride, you need better shocks. Adjustables give you more room to move, but generally only to the firmer side. This is a situation where I'd recommend a set of $359/set Tokico shocks. The cost isn't super high, the damping is better then GR2's....

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=20&ModelID=7
Do the stock DeCarbon's actually get stiffer with age, or is that just how they are out of the box? Comparing the DeCarbons with the GR2's, the DeCarbons I took out of my car were very hard to compress.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:21 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Rhedalert
Do the stock DeCarbon's actually get stiffer with age, or is that just how they are out of the box? Comparing the DeCarbons with the GR2's, the DeCarbons I took out of my car were very hard to compress.
A great, great question!

No, the shocks do not get stiffer with age. They are harder to compress because they are mono-tube shocks with much higher gas pressure (Bilstein's are like this as well)... you aren't feeling valving, but just the amount of gas pressure in the shock which doesn't add or take away any damping force.

The reason stock shocks ride worse with age isn't from getting stiffer, it's actually because they have gotten weaker and do an ever worse job of controlling the speed of movement. Compression handles the unsprung weight, and is what causes the jarring.... Rebound deals with springs and sprung weight and a lack of that causes the float.

As for off the shelf Bilstein's. Another option to be sure, and it's not secret I sell Bilstein--but I will NOT sell the off the shelf rear for this car that is currently in production (and not what mitchntx has). It is valved more like a deCarbon than older shocks (which mitchntx has) and that makes a difference.....

Bilstein's are better built shocks, no doubt. They also cost more, and while we can deal with the rear shock valving issue by using an alternate rear shock much more similar to what mitchntx has, they are currently out of stock @ Bilstein (will be about 8/1 for more).
Old 07-06-2009, 12:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Holy Cow!

I can only imagine how fast the current points leader would be with something more than "stock rear shocks" in the Texas Region of CMC2.

Shhh ... no one tell him his rear shocks suck.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:27 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Careful mitch, your ignorance is slipping out again. CMC2 in TX, hotbed of testing activity. I don't run those shock, because not only is my car faster, more consistent and easier to drive on other shocks, but I learned how to tune them and didn't want something someone else thought was good enough.

Doesn't matter what you run, this isn't about your ego or mine. As usual, I presented my reasons with supporting information. What makes opinions helpful is background information folks can use to get an understanding on what forms one's opinion.

I do my best to give a full picture, and for someone who's on my for being stuck in my ways (like for instance saying Koni's rock), now when I recommend something else, something "less than" Bilstein--regarless of the reason, I'm still wrong. Maybe you are the one who is blindly recommending things. I have no reason to not recommend a Bilstein, I sell Bilstein, and if I thought that is what the man needed I'd recommend them. And he might want them, or maybe need them--I can't recommend anything for certain by forum or e-mail.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:28 PM
TECH Regular

A great, great question!

No, the shocks do not get stiffer with age. They are harder to compress because they are mono-tube shocks with much higher gas pressure (Bilstein's are like this as well)... you aren't feeling valving, but just the amount of gas pressure in the shock which doesn't add or take away any damping force.

The reason stock shocks ride worse with age isn't from getting stiffer, it's actually because they have gotten weaker and do an ever worse job of controlling the speed of movement. Compression handles the unsprung weight, and is what causes the jarring.... Rebound deals with springs and sprung weight and a lack of that causes the float.

As for off the shelf Bilstein's. Another option to be sure, and it's not secret I sell Bilstein--but I will NOT sell the off the shelf rear for this car that is currently in production (and not what mitchntx has). It is valved more like a deCarbon than older shocks (which mitchntx has) and that makes a difference.....

Bilstein's are better built shocks, no doubt. They also cost more, and while we can deal with the rear shock valving issue by using an alternate rear shock much more similar to what mitchntx has, they are currently out of stock @ Bilstein (will be about 8/1 for more).

Cool thanks!
Old 07-06-2009, 02:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Careful mitch, your ignorance is slipping out again.
And Sam, you are letting your people skills out again ...

for everyone else ... I got nothing to sell.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by mitchntx
What is on the car now?
What Mitch said...
Old 07-06-2009, 09:02 PM
TECH Addict

On the car now:

Stock shocks from 2002. 109k on them.

I sort of like the adjustable idea for the track, so I can play with the settings.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:56 PM
10 Second Club

Yes! Pick up a set of KYB GR2 shocks. I threw a pair in the back of my car because I do a lot of highway driving and commuting. It makes the car a little "floatier" and absorbs the bumps, but still handles great. The KYB's are decent quality yet inexpensive. I haven't tried the front shocks, but if they're anything like the rears, they'll be softer.
What settings do you use on yolur trips? I normally have mine set on 5 for the in town and corner carving. Just a wondering idea in case I take a trip.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:38 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by mitchntx
And Sam, you are letting your people skills out again ...

for everyone else ... I got nothing to sell.
My fatal flaw--calling a spade a spade. I do have things to sell, doesn't mean I don't care about selling the best parts to my customers. Having something to sell doesn't make me wrong fwiw.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

My fatal flaw--calling a spade a spade.
How ironic ... mine too!

Tockicos in stock ... Bilsteins on back order till August.

hmmmm ...

You need to go back reread this thread. I just made a remark about how was still impressed with the way Bilstein HDs worked on MY vehicles. And then you started with the name calling.

Grow up ...
Old 07-07-2009, 05:32 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I pointed out that you didn't specify WHICH Bilstein's you have (and still haven't), but based on how long you've and I've have been banging heads you'd have to have the older (and somewhat better) rear valving.

Turns out the OP is looking at AGX's anyway as he wants an adjustable shock--and he thanked me for posting and answering some questions which I will continue to do whether or not some folks like it or if think I'm acting like a child.

Have a nice day.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:57 PM
TECH Addict

This is true. I want adjustables for the track and for daily driving just for maximum comfort.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Glad they worked for you....I just put a pair on the rear of mine (it's been riding horrible lately) and it made ZERO difference over the 86k originals.

I'm not even going to bother installing the fronts, I'm going to step up to Bilsteins or Tokicos instead.

I don't know what's going on with my car right now, it's at the point I don't even want to drive it it rides so bad. Makes my lifted, solid axle Jeep seem like a Caddy.

Quick Reply: Odd request: Is there anyway to make the ride softer?