General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power Antenna Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 09:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Antenna Problem

Hey everyone, I have a question that maybe someone can answer. I just bought a power antenna from someone on here, so I could do the power antenna swap on my Camaro. Finished the install, and powered the car on and the antenna went up, turned it off it went down. Than I took my car out for a drive to get a part for the drain hose, and when I parked at the store, the antenna wouldn't go down anymore, it just stuck up. So I turned the car back on, heard the antenna motor run, turned the car off again, but it still didnt go down.
Any ideas on why this would happen like this?? Motor runs, but the antenna wont go down anymore. It is stuck up and I noticed that it isnt fully extended (about 3-4" arent all the way up).
So really I only got one or two rotations out of it before it stopped working.
Thanks,
Dustin
Old 07-07-2009, 09:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pinball-1
Hey everyone, I have a question that maybe someone can answer. I just bought a power antenna from someone on here, so I could do the power antenna swap on my Camaro. Finished the install, and powered the car on and the antenna went up, turned it off it went down. Than I took my car out for a drive to get a part for the drain hose, and when I parked at the store, the antenna wouldn't go down anymore, it just stuck up. So I turned the car back on, heard the antenna motor run, turned the car off again, but it still didnt go down.
Any ideas on why this would happen like this?? Motor runs, but the antenna wont go down anymore. It is stuck up and I noticed that it isnt fully extended (about 3-4" arent all the way up).
So really I only got one or two rotations out of it before it stopped working.
Thanks,
Dustin
sounds like the little nylon snake that actually does the raising and lowering came out of the metal antenna mast.

You'll have to pull it back out to check it.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:14 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

These antennas are notorious for shedding paint. When that happens, the joints get gummed up and jam the antenna. If you can hear the motor running, this is your issue.

To fix, get some mineral spirits (you need the real stuff - not paint thinner) and wipe the antenna down with a rag. Repeat and put the antenna up and down several times, wiping it down with the mineral spirits each time. (FYI - this the procedure listed in the factory service manuals.)

This should keep you in good shape for a while but you may have to repeat every year. I've found in the past that exposure to road salt accelerates the shedding process.