Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another 240SX Swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet another 240SX Swap

Hello new friends. I'm about to embark on a v-8 ls-series swap into a 93 240SX. I am actually one of two people performing this swap for a customer, here is the run down.

*Using 2007 6.0 from a Suburban (yes, active fuel managment and cylinder deactivation with variable cam timing)
*2004 Pontiac GTO T56 Transmission
*DaftInnovations swap kit, wiring etc.

These are the "hard" parts of the swap. Don't ask, the engine is what was available, for a good price with 18k miles. We plan on using a 97-02 Corvette ECU and wiring harnes while changing all sensors and such to 97-02 Vette items. Anyways, I am just wondering a few things about this 6.0 Engine. I've done a little reseatch online and found out that the crankshaft position sensor is 58x versus whatever the ls1 is. Lingenfelter sells the plug-and-play adapter to let the ecu read the 58x crank sensor and think its an ls1. As far as the cylinder deactiviation, we will be ripping the system out or deactivating the deactivation system, haha. The lifters on cylinders 1, 4, 6 and 7 will be replaced with "normal" lifters instead of the deac's lifters. The camshaft is being replaced with a performance one for an ls3 motor, the cam gear and its variable cam timing system will also be thrown out or deactivated. The intake manifold and related parts (fuel system included) will be replaced with a corvette or GTO setup (a lot shorter than the truck setup). Anyways, I feel that the most headaches we will encounter with the swap is the conversion from 6.0 vortec and 2007 valve timing and fuel cut-off switched to work with a 97-02 vette ECU and wiring harness. If anyone can provide some advice or tips that would be great. Keep in mind that this will be my first encounter with the LS-Series family of swaps (used to working on Hondas), but I am getting paid good money to complete this swap. As far as I can tell, GM used the previous generation 6.0 block and added these systems. Is this possible, or is this too much to take on. Any input from anyone will be very much appreciated.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

if its an 07, it may still be 24x if its a lq4.
is the engine equipped with rectangle port or cathedral port heads?
it will be easier to use a fbody based pcm and harness. and cable driven tb
is your engine equipped with 317 or 823 casting?
have u verified that its a 58x crank engine?
Old 07-11-2009, 08:31 AM

I have yet to pull the intake manifold, but yes, it is the L76 6.0 with cylinder deactivation (active fuel management) and variable cam timing. I have an engine harness from a 99-00 Vette and the ECU to match. My concern is also how I go about wiring the 2004 GTO manual transmission I have. I will find out more about the casting number. Where is the casting number on the block?? I think I am going to stick with the fly-by-wire setup as I have access to these parts (I work for a salvage company and we have a lot of wrecked vettes, mostly C5. I got some pics of the Motor and Transmission. See the next reply. Thanks for your help Nemess.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:35 AM

Default Pics of 6.0 and GTO Transmission (Tremec)

2007 GM 6.0 (352 HP & 383 ft lbs.)!!!
Attached Thumbnails Yet another 240SX Swap-dsci1397.jpg   Yet another 240SX Swap-dsci1398.jpg   Yet another 240SX Swap-dsci1399.jpg   Yet another 240SX Swap-dsci1400.jpg   Yet another 240SX Swap-dsci1401.jpg  

Old 07-13-2009, 08:03 PM

Well, the heads are rectangle port. The block number is 12568952. My buddy's dad is telling me that it might be easier to run the engine as it is, with the active fuel deal and cam timing setup and run the 07 wiring and have the 07 suburban ecu reflashed with a custom program. My worries are for the transmission wiring then. The truck was an automatic, but now we have an 04 GTO Transmission. Can anyone help me with some of the technical aspect of the electronics with this motor?? Or point me to a website or previous thread. Thanks all.

Quick Reply: Yet another 240SX Swap