Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Why are monster and text so similar?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 12:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Why are monster and text so similar?

I noticed a surprisingly shocking similarity between the new monster clutches and textralia ones. I feel as though the monster stage 3 is the exact same thing as an oz700 just painted green. Any input?
Old 07-10-2009, 01:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You aren't the first to notice or state this.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:05 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pHEnomIC
. Any input?
yes. Not the same.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:10 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

The single disk clutches LS cars use are all made from pressure plates supplied by one of two companies. One is excedy and the other is Luke so no matter whos single disk clutch you buy thats what you get and why they all look so similar.

The difference ( or lacktherof ) between say Monster and Textralia is about what pressure clamping springs they use and if they micronite the friction surface and thats about it. The rest is paint and hype

As for the friction disk? I dont know who makes them but they're all the same. I have a spec 3 and a tex sitting here and the x-pad disks are identical appearing. I cannot verify if the springs in the hub are the same rating though, but the disks are the same and so is monster and so is? brand x on ebay is the same too etc.

So the real quality that your paying for goes into the R&D of each particular manufacturer to set these specs, the customer service, and the warranty. Thats why "good" clutch companies come recommended they charge more and give you more in return because they can afford too. If you want a dirt cheap solution and you understand this spec out your own bits and buy off ebay you'll find each piece there cheap but dont expect any warranty. If you would rather avoid sourcing out your own goodies and want great customer service AND great R&D then buy from one of the big boys. That said regardless of manufacturer there are going to be issues and when your talking about the "internets" when one guy has a problem and posts about it all of a sudden

"BRAND 'insert your favorite company to bash' CLUTCHES SUCK!!!!!!"

and so it goes. Then a nice new company comes along and saves the day and the process continues on and on.

I'm not saying all clutches were created equal and I'm certainly not saying any one brand is light years better than the next BUT theres a lot to be said about a track record and looking at situations for what they are.

Clearly Monster is making a very serious run at being the go to clutch right now. They aint cheap but so far they are getting good reviews. Back up the clock and look at any other clutch brand thats been out for a while and you'll see THE EXACT SAME STORY. The difference now is Monster really gives a **** and seems hungry for your money so you'll probably get far better service than most. TEXTRALIA also has a brilliant reputation for top shelf service and they've been around a while now too. I seriously doubt quality wise there is any difference at all between them TEX also has a stellar rep on all fronts.

Hmmm starts to make sense why they cost roughly the same $$$$
Old 07-14-2009, 07:59 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by cam
TEXTRALIA also has a brilliant reputation for top shelf service and they've been around a while now too. I seriously doubt quality wise there is any difference at all between them TEX also has a stellar rep on all fronts.
Bullshit. Unless they changed things in the last several months, their customer service is... unimpressive.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:10 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pHEnomIC
I noticed a surprisingly shocking similarity between the new monster clutches and textralia ones. I feel as though the monster stage 3 is the exact same thing as an oz700 just painted green. Any input?
Take a look at the spec 3 along side both of them. You will find the same result. Thats why i dont use any of them.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Old 07-14-2009, 09:18 PM
Staging Lane

I had a textralia in my corvette and was very happy with it. Service wasn't bad when I ordered it either.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:02 PM
12 Second Club

Wow, Steve (owner of Monster Clutches) should step in here. There really are differences that you guys don't see, like production tolerances and quality assurance, as well as proprietary blends in friction material. I have over 20K miles on my Monster Stage3, and will be moving to a 3.5 soon. Steve knows his ****, and stands 100% behind his product.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:20 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

proprietary blends in friction material
Not bashing your theory but are you seriously saying that there is metallurgical differences between the x pad disk of spec, tex, and monster? Im talking about the gold metallic facing they use? Look the same, perform about the same, cost about the same....

Enlighten us please
Old 07-15-2009, 09:44 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Take a look at the spec 3 along side both of them. You will find the same result. Thats why i dont use any of them.
Curious what you recommend? Thanks
Old 07-15-2009, 09:59 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Frans96SS

You run or own a performance shop, and for you to say because a product LOOKS teh same and THAT is why you don't use any of them?

Come on now, how many products LOOK similar but are so far apart in build quality because of what is INSIDE the actual product (what and how it is made) and that is why TESTING is necessary, and not just looking
Old 07-15-2009, 10:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gen414
You run or own a performance shop, and for you to say because a product LOOKS teh same and THAT is why you don't use any of them?

Come on now, how many products LOOK similar but are so far apart in build quality because of what is INSIDE the actual product (what and how it is made) and that is why TESTING is necessary, and not just looking

well when it looks EXACTLY the same and ive had problems with spec and tex than why would i use another product that looks exactly the same? I have always been **** when it comes to parts i put on my customers cars. Out of probably the 50-100 specs i have installed i have had problems with maybe 5-7 of them. Its those 5-7 that **** me off bc the customer is not happy bc I recommended him that clutch. Esp in a corvette, The swap is not all that easy. I have been using RPS and have NEVER had ONE single problem. Yes they are more expensive but im willing to pay that in order to KNOW that the customer will be happy in the end.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:49 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Is there any rattling sounds with those RPS clutches?
Old 07-15-2009, 11:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cam
Is there any rattling sounds with those RPS clutches?
With some of them yes but they have a new Twin disc that has a strapped floater plate rated to 750tq and its quiet as can be. PM me if interested.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

My 2 cents...

Allthough I don't have a Monster clutch yet, I will try one next time.
I just put in my LS7 clutch so I'm good for a while as I'm not hard on clutches. I had bad experiences with after other market clutches so I decided to go with the OEM Luk pressure plate and Valeo disc.

After talking with Steve at great lengths on the phone, I came to realize that they are making a top quality product with more to come. Plus the results speak for themselves. There are plenty of members on here and other forums that have had great success with Monster clutches.

If anyone has doubts or questions about the product, it might be a good idea to contact Steve directly from Monster clutch. He has put alot of time, R&D and investment into thier product.
You can also contact GEN414 too. He is a Vendor for Monster and runs his own speed shop.

And no ... I am not affiliated in anyway. lol

Frans96SS
, does RPS have a corporate website? , I couldn't find it, I was only able to find reseller websites.

Last edited by bearcatt; 07-15-2009 at 02:15 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:32 PM
FormerVendor

well when it looks EXACTLY the same and ive had problems with spec and tex than why would i use another product that looks exactly the same? .

To each his own, but to sit here and tell me because something LOOKS teh same as another product, you are not gonna use it, it is pretty naive. Last time I checked, nitrous solenoids LOOKED the same. Cranks, Rods, Pistons, Cams, Lifters, Rings, Bearings, Valves, Tires, Paint, Body parts LOOK teh same, but do you REALLY think they are MADE teh same?
Old 07-20-2009, 02:51 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This topic has been raised numerous times.

Without beating a dead horse I'll say that looks can be decieving. We spend money, time, and a lot of effort in trying to provide the best clutch for the money.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bearcatt

Frans96SS
, does RPS have a corporate website? , I couldn't find it, I was only able to find reseller websites.

http://www.turboclutch.com/
Old 07-20-2009, 03:10 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ed's a really nice guy by the way!