Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Race Breakage

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 09:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Race Breakage

I raced a new GT-350 today on the freeway with at least exhaust. Don't worry I killed him all three times going from about 80 on up. I would pull on him decently in 3rd but as soon as I hit 4th I would leave him in the dust every time. When I got off the freeway his girl was staring constantly at the front of my car, only thing I can think is they were trying to figure out what it was. Well, on to the carnage, on one of those 3-4th shifts I heard a snap and about lost my lunch. I'll bet you guys can guess where this is going, but I'll be you're all wrong! To my amazement I broke the driver side rear interior panel. Broke the mount clean off the panel. The broken piece actually came flying up and landed in the passenger hand cup. It's pretty funny, of all the things I thought I would break racing, this wasn't one of them... Attached is a pic.
Attached Thumbnails Race Breakage-dscn1169.jpg  
Old 07-11-2009, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Welcome to the club. There is a fix using washers to get it back on, but you'll have to search for it. I haven't fixed mine yet.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:04 PM
Launching!

Oh wow, I never would have thought that was typical. Well, thanks for the welcoming party!

I will search for the fix, if I can't find it I have no doubt I can take care of it myself.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:07 AM
Banned

i replaced both sail panels on mine too. dont mash the gas with the windows all the way down. some good advice.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:01 AM
Launching!

Does anybody know the thread with the repair? I searched and came up with nothing. I'd like to see what the common way of fixing it is without going through the dealer.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-run-into.html

There is a screw under the 'AIRBAG' plug. Pry out the plug and remove the whole trim piece. Look at the plastic at the screw location on the trim piece and you'll see that it's broken. You can then try to repair and reinforce it or buy a new one.
On mine, the part of the panel which mounted to the raised sheet metal tab was simply a pedestal (for lack of a better word), and the plastic had cracked and eventually separated at the section where the mounting screw attached to the pillar. In my instance, an easy fix would have been to remove the screw and place a washer larger than the screw head under it. Then it would just been a matter reattaching the sail panel to the pillar and reinstalling the air bag emblem. Your situation may very well be resolved that easily.
Glue a washer in there to rebuild the end of the "pedestal". I did mine myself, and it's holding up great
Old 07-12-2009, 10:27 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the link, and your avatar.