Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Auto to manual conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 07:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto to manual conversion?

Just wondering what would the cost be of converting an A4 3rd gen to a manual (T-5 or T-56)? I've come across one that's an auto but am looking for a manual car. Was wondering if it would even be worth it, or the hassle involved?
Old 07-15-2009, 09:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

What kind of Engine is in it..350?

A LT1 T56 is what you would need if it's anything Gen I..wouldn't be that hard to do, just work.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:14 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Last of a Breed
Just wondering what would the cost be of converting an A4 3rd gen to a manual (T-5 or T-56)? I've come across one that's an auto but am looking for a manual car. Was wondering if it would even be worth it, or the hassle involved?

Well, finding a stick car is gonna be ALOT cheaper than converting an auto over to stick. UNLESS you find someone that wants to swap (alot easier said than done) AND if you can do teh work. If not (on either case) then you have to go out and buy all teh required parts (BIG $$$$$$) and then you have to pay someone to do it. By the time it is all said and done, you could probaly have bought ANOTHER 3rd gen for the same amount of money you have in teh swap.

I don't want to deter you, not at all, jsut trying to shed some light in that when looking for a car, it is usually in your best interest to hold out for teh car you want, and not rush "just because it's a good deal"
Old 07-15-2009, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Gen414
Well, finding a stick car is gonna be ALOT cheaper than converting an auto over to stick. UNLESS you find someone that wants to swap (alot easier said than done) AND if you can do teh work. If not (on either case) then you have to go out and buy all teh required parts (BIG $$$$$$) and then you have to pay someone to do it. By the time it is all said and done, you could probaly have bought ANOTHER 3rd gen for the same amount of money you have in teh swap.

I don't want to deter you, not at all, jsut trying to shed some light in that when looking for a car, it is usually in your best interest to hold out for teh car you want, and not rush "just because it's a good deal"

Thanks. Yeah I figured as much, it's just tough finding a 3rd gen in decent shape with a manual. I was hoping that converting it wouldn't be too expensive. Oh well, the wait continues.

Quick Reply: Auto to manual conversion?