Sponsored by:

No 3rd or 4th.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 08:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default No 3rd or 4th.

4L60E w/4500 converter. Mid 11's at 115mph in 7000ft DA

Ok guys. Its a long story so bare with me. I raced it last weekend and will I was doing a burnout I heard some clunking noise coming from the rearend and then suddenly while in 3rd and I finished the burnout the car wouldn't move. I decided to race it anyway since It was the race of the night. Noticed a slight rpm hesitation to go into 4th gear and rpm drop like something was holding it back. I drove it home and assumed tranny was about to give out and it did. Car will drive in 1st and second just fine. Except that going into second is a bit rough bit nonetheless it goes in. But im driving in 2nd at light throttle and I go into 3rd or 4th and tranny feels like it locks up almost completely and will bring the car to a halt completely. It revs up in 3rd and 4th but I have a 4500 stall so I think its that 3rd and 4th lock up the tranny completely. But I put it back in 1st or second and the car drives fine. I put it again in 3rd or 4th and tranny feels like if its an M6 and I am bringing the car to a stop by downshifting. I am just wondering how costly in parts it would be to fix because I have a friend with a TH350 longtail with a 4400 convereter that he will give me. I just don't have the time to fabricate a th350. Too lazy. Any help I can get about the 4L60E would be great.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:11 PM
Launching!

Anyone?
Old 07-15-2009, 02:31 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Sounds like something is broke internally possibly the low roller clutch seized. It will require either replacing or rebuilding the trans,
I would carefully consider the 350 if this is a daily driver you cost in fuel could increase as much as 30-40 percent .

Call 888-744-6542

Old 07-19-2009, 03:39 PM
Launching!

This car is not a daily driver but I do cruise it once in a while. Just short distances. Well I've been monitoring the tranny. I think I ot confused. To sum it up. while at a stop the car will not move at all if in 3rd or 4th gears. But I drop it to 1st or second and car starts driving fine. as long as im going 20 mph or more. If less than 20 mph then it comes out of gear and I have to drop it to 1st or second for tranny to engage again.